Nording by Rocky Patel

RGD

Elder Jungle Leader
Well - few quick words about this cigar: Enticing - Smooth - Aromatic

I ordered in a box of these without any recommendations - just on intrigue due to the fact that they are a collaboration between Rocky Patel and Eric Nording of pipe fame. They only come in a few sizes featuring hefty ring gauges. I selected the:

Torpedo Maduro 4 by 54

First thing that surprised me was the signed box by Eric Nording. Attractive box with the smokes being cello wrapped. After a whole one day of rest I decided to give one a go round.

For it's small size, it's a beautiful dark smooth wrapper - firm feel with just the slightest amount of give. Gave it a snip and upon toasting she lit up nicely. The aroma at this point was just a hint of what was to come.

Don't be mislead by the small size - hour and 15 minute smoke before I let the nub finally go.

The first few draws - nothing - then it hit me. Slight cocoa flavors touched the roof of my mouth followed by an underlying sweet sensation. She went through a muted nutty to teasing caramel flavor and something - something I don't know what - but it was just an enticing flavor that before I knew it I was constantly drawing and endanger of turning her into a hot box. I have no way to describe the taste/sensation - I just don't.

I slowed down as the burn which was razor sharp, was now getting off track from my quickened pace - it quickly corrected itself though. And then there is the aroma - again - I don't have the words. But if I was in a deep chair, fire going, brandy in hand - pipe smoke filling the air - Thats what it would smell like!

The smoke was white and plentiful - smooth, just ever so smooth - never a hint of harshness. It's hard to describe the pleasure of drawing it in, swirling around my mouth - inhaling and softly exhaling through the nose - just all pleasure from start to finish.

I don't mean to be all sappy about this smoke - buy I'm telling you - this is a mystic smoke for me. It's not an anytime of the day cut the grass, walk the the dog smoke - It's an early morning mist on the grass, sun peeking out with a good cup of coffee smoke - or even a late evening cuddled up with a nice glass of rum quiet time smoke -

Thats what the Nording is to me. ;)

Ron

Hmmmm - where the hell was I that I missed your thread? I see where you found a bit of harshness in yours - I don't think mine could have even hinted at being harsh even if it wanted to.

Ron

Yeah, but I also got mine out of the box the day they arrived so they may have been in a little transit shock. The ones I had out of my own humi a few weeks back were like you described. Smooth as silk.

scottie

Great reveiw!! :w

I've been curoius about these little guys since c-poc posted his thread a while back.

Gotta start saving my pennies!

Great review... I am very interested in this smoke after various reviews. Eventually I'll have to snag some up :D

Great review! I have a fiver in my humi for a few months now. I might have to break one out and try it.

Great review Ron! I'm slipping; I used to be such a Rocky Patel whore! It looks like it's time for me to get some of these!

Bumping this thread back after having tried my first Nording tonight--a robusto. Without jacking this too much, here are my thoughts:

*This one sat in the humi for about 3 months
*Dark, almost maduro wrapper--clean, smooth, silky
*Nicely-wrapped pigtail cap was a nice aesthetic choice--sets the stick apart from all the other good RP stuff you'll see in a B&M
*No harshness on this--2-dimensional, but those dimensions included smooth roasted tobacco and a hint of mocha (cocoa + coffee) somewhere in there
*For ~$4-5, there may be very few sticks out there that match up

Just when I thought I was done with NCs :D :dr :D

Bumping this thread back after having tried my first Nording tonight--a robusto. Without jacking this too much, here are my thoughts:

*This one sat in the humi for about 3 months
*Dark, almost maduro wrapper--clean, smooth, silky
*Nicely-wrapped pigtail cap was a nice aesthetic choice--sets the stick apart from all the other good RP stuff you'll see in a B&M
*No harshness on this--2-dimensional, but those dimensions included smooth roasted tobacco and a hint of mocha (cocoa + coffee) somewhere in there
*For ~$4-5, there may be very few sticks out there that match up

Just when I thought I was done with NCs :D :dr :D

Sounds nice. I had an OWR maduro that I felt the same way about...not even a big maduro fan :confused: Just so smooth. I'll have to give one of these a try.

Great review! i was bombed with my first Nording - and let it age for a few months, before reaching for it (i needed a short smoke)...man, was I surprised! it was a solid performer!

i've never heard of this RP, and being from the podunk town of p'cola, fl, my local B&M(we have 3 and only 2 are worth a sh%t) said it would have to be a special order.?! but those reviews made my mouth water!! i like the shorter smokes, and these sound perfect. i'll be lookin' online for some. thanks!!!!

Back