North to Alaska

Stogmeister

Maturing Primate
So I'm moving to Alaska (Anchorage) in January, looks like I'll continue mail ordering most of my cigars http://fujipub.com/cigartax.html :mad:

I guess the upside is all the good microbrews up there....Alaskan, Midnight Sun, Homer Brewing, and Humpys all make a few good ones I've sampled.

Any other BOTL's currently living in AK?

Wow smoking in the winter is going to be very different for you.

Good luck with the move. Hope everything goes well

Thanks, looking forward to a break from this heat, but this will be the extreme opposite for sure! I'm originally from Indiana so its not like I'm unfamiliar with snow though. Outdoor fireplace will be coming along and be getting a lot more use

My biggest concern about my whole move is my 70 GTO :confused: (I can be compensated for broken furniture and lost items). Maybe I'll try and negotiate for them to use a classic car mover instead of the regular moving co.

Weather Report for Anchorage...better bring some blankets.

Partly Cloudy
High 11°F
Precip
10%
Wind: N 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 74%
UV Index: 0 Low

Sunrise: 10:14 AM AT
Avg. High: 23°F
Record High: 45°F (2004)

Light Snow Late
Overnight Low 1°F

Precip 60%
Wind: N 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 76%

Sunset: 3:43 PM AT
Avg. Low: 11°F
Record Low: -30°F (1917)

I lived in Anchorage for 5 years. Not too bad. I had a lot of fun.

Good luck with the move, and don't drive the goat in the winter! The salt and sand will be a killer!

Weather Report for Anchorage...better bring some blankets.

Partly Cloudy
High 11°F
Precip
10%
Wind: N 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 74%
UV Index: 0 Low

Sunrise: 10:14 AM AT
Avg. High: 23°F
Record High: 45°F (2004)

Light Snow Late
Overnight Low 1°F

Precip 60%
Wind: N 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 76%

Sunset: 3:43 PM AT
Avg. Low: 11°F
Record Low: -30°F (1917)

Actually it will be more like this for me 7 out of every 14 days, with windchills typically -20 to -30!

10-Day Health Forecast for
Prudhoe Bay, AK (99734)

Forecast Conditions High/Low °F Precip.
Chance Precipitation High Temperatures Low Temperatures
Today
Dec 20 Cloudy
1°/-3° 20%
20 %

Cold to Blame For Your Pain?
Thu
Dec 21 Mostly Cloudy
-1°/-9° 20%
20 %

Fri
Dec 22 Mostly Cloudy
-12°/-16° 20%
20 %

Sat
Dec 23 Partly Cloudy
-9°/-13° 20%
20 %

Learn How Cold Affects Your Health
Sun
Dec 24 Partly Cloudy
-12°/-14° 20%
20 %

Mon
Dec 25 Scattered Snow Showers
-8°/-13° 30%
30 %

Wool socks!!
Down Parka!!
Ski-doo!!

Have a blast!
Take up Salmon Fishing!

I hope you like hiking, some great hikes though the mountains.

As for the goat.. drive it up!! Many drive east to west, or west to east. few drive south to north, espeically that far!! But store it once you get there!!!! salt eats metal!!

You sure you want to bring your GTO up there? Sheesh, the Winters are BRUTAL on cars, nevermind a gem like that one! Are you planning on a permanent move, or is this a "tour of duty" for the company you work for? Just curious. In any case, best of luck with everything!

CD

Wogz -
Good advice and can't wait to get snowmobiles, or snowmachines, or sleds, or whatever you prefer to call them. Looking forward to doing some hiking and bike riding. Too many miles to drive the goat, but once it gets there it won't leave the garage if its raining or snowing.

CeeDee -
See above about goat, it won't be going out in the winter months. I am going to work for a new company and I consider this move permanant until I decide to transfer to something else or apply for a position elsewhere w/ in the company.

My biggest concern about my whole move is my 70 GTO :confused: (I can be compensated for broken furniture and lost items). Maybe I'll try and negotiate for them to use a classic car mover instead of the regular moving co.

No problem, I'm just North of Houston, you can drop it off on your way out. It'll be right here waiting on you when you get back. You will have to come back to thaw out right? :)

My wife lived in Alaska when she was younger and speaks fondly of her time there. It's far too cold for me but she'd love it if we could move up there.

No problem, I'm just North of Houston, you can drop it off on your way out. It'll be right here waiting on you when you get back. You will have to come back to thaw out right? :)

My wife lived in Alaska when she was younger and speaks fondly of her time there. It's far too cold for me but she'd love it if we could move up there.

:r Had quite a few people offer to store it for me already!

I've been told Anchorage winters are comparable to Chicago's, maybe even not as cold due to less wind. Probably last longer though. When I went up in Oct it was still only jacket weather

Back