not a bad deal?

I just follow the old addage that if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. When they guy puts down that it normally retails for $399 but you can get this bad boy for a measly $25 it just makes me wonder.

I have been burned on ebay before with what seems like a incredible deal.

:2

gadgetbestbuy = bad

There are a few people that sell real humidors on ebay, but he's not one of them.

If you notice, he doesn't claim it's lined with cedar, only the dividers are, and even then, he doesn't say spanish cedar. You can't make assumptions on ebay.

From their description, italics added by me:

In order to provide savings for our customers and get the same value, portions of our humidor interior are made of cedar wood. Once the humidor is closed everything inside is sealed. The cedar smell will remain in the box giving positive effect on the flavor of your cigars. Therefore there is no need to make the inside of the humidor completely of cedar. If you research cigar humidors, there is no 100% cedar humidor. All manufacturers use the same method to make their humidors.

How many did you get Pete?

none. I have one that looks similar, but with a couple drawers on the bottom. If it is the same quality construction, and same maker, it would be a fine humi.

I am waiting to get one of these to put my mediocre smokes in, and display them in all their mediocre glory.
coolers.jpg

I think the one on the left looks great, and the graphics remind me of smoke. While I may not find one like this, I can get creative with a glass etching kit.

In order to provide savings for our customers and get the same value, portions of our humidor interior are made of cedar wood. Once the humidor is closed everything inside is sealed. The cedar smell will remain in the box giving positive effect on the flavor of your cigars. Therefore there is no need to make the inside of the humidor completely of cedar. If you research cigar humidors, there is no 100% cedar humidor. All manufacturers use the same method to make their humidors.

I remember reading this in another thread, now that you mention it. Bad ad copy, for sure.

I have a 100% spanish cedar humidor...or do I?

This guy is full of :BS.

One of my humidors if from gadgetbestbuy off ebay. I only paid like 20 bucks for it but the shipping was a little steep and slow.

The interior of the one I have is completely made of cedar, and it functions flawlessly. My only complaint is the finish on the outside isn't very glossy or deep.

I'm in no way going to say they are a great company and everyone should own a humidor from them because it's the best deal around. I simply rolled the dice and came out on top.

The ad for the one I purchased had that same disclaimer in fine print at the bottom.

Just my :2

It's good practice just to stay the hell away from that seller. Especially after that disclaimer about the cedar. Just my :2.

I was looking at that same locker a couple months ago. This was pointed otu to me by a friend and it's what made me NOT get it.

In order to provide savings for our customers and get the same value, portions of our humidor interior are made of cedar wood.

If you compare this one with the one cheaphumidors sell you can easily tell the difference. Portions may mean just the underside of the lid or the trays. So be careful.

Cedar is not always the best for humidors.

From Michael Dixon Humidors website.
Therefore we feel that Cedar should be used as well in our humidors but not exclusively. Cedar has a tendency to bleed a sap gum resin when exposed to heat. This gummy resin is actually inside the wood itself and may not surface for several months. So in order to avoid this potential problem, we use another wood - Sapele - in conjunction with the Cedar. This gives us the best of both woods so-to-speak. We use the Cedar in veneer form only on the top and bottom interior surfaces and Sapele on the interior wall lining. Sapele is also much denser than Cedar and more stable. Thus, it is a much better wood to use for the interior walls and protruding lip.

Also look at my thread, we had 3 Padron Millenium Humidors, we sold off 2 of them and held onto the last one. Spot the sap in the pictures that could have got onto the cigars if not for the paper covering them. http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73656

Wish I would have been a member of this forum a couple months ago. I bought one of these from gadgetbestbuy. Only the 2 trays are cedar, the finish is dull and the lock is a joke. I've kept cigars in here with a Cigar Oasis for about a month and a half, and I haven't noticed any problems. I guess what I paid for is a wooden cooler without the room. Live and learn. It was shipped fast and in good shape. Wouldn't buy from this seller again though.

Back