Nub Cameroon 460

Langod

Young Chimp
My first review – so I may be a little off in my descriptions. Hopefully, this is a decent beginner’s review. (apologies to Garlicbreath for stealing his review format!)

Date: 10/1/08
Reviewer: langod
Cigar: Nub Cameroon 460
Size: 4 x 60

Wrapper: Cameroon
Filler:
Nicaragua
Binder:
Nicaragua
Flavor:
Medium bodied

Ambience: Outside on a deck, under an awning in the damp leftovers of a rainstorm, with friends after an 8-ball pool tournament.
Beverage: none
Appearance: medium-dark brown wrapper, fairly dry, no major noticeable defects
Pre-Light: light, pleasant, leather smell. Good firm feel, no noticeable soft spots.

Clip: Even after moistening the end of the cigar, the end wrap must have been slightly dry despite living in my humi (65%) for a couple of weeks. It clipped easily, but left a few straggler edges of leaf, that I had to pick off after a while.
Draw: easy
1/3: No harsh flavors, but very spicy tasting.
2/3: spiciness mellowed out, but still no major flavor components, pleasant.
3/3: Flavors didn’t change much through the entire cigar until it burned down to about ½ way through the last third, then all of a sudden – within two puffs – the cigar went completely bitter.

Burn: Took some work (for this newbie) to light a large ring cigar evenly, but once lit, I had no problems with it at all.
Ash: easily went to 1” – I knocked it off after that. Very dense ash.
Strength: little nicotine effect.
Finish: I think the last bitter puffs ruined any aftertaste for me. I had to rinse my mouth after a while, although the basic cigar flavor lingered several hours.

Time: about 30 minutes.
Impression: Nice, pleasant smoke, but un-remarkable flavor.

Comments: I smoked this with a group of guys outside after a rainstorm. It was an enjoyable smoke that I didn’t feel I had to pay a lot of attention to – so it was perfect for a standing up, shooting-the-bull social situation. It wasn’t terribly complex, but was an enjoyable cigar nonetheless. At roughly $5, it’s not an amazing cigar, but may become one of my average go-to cigars. I’d be very careful of the last third next time though.

Back