Nub Habano 460

dwhitacre

My Other Brother Darrell
The Nub Habano is one of three types of Nub Cigars. The 460 is one of four sizes for this cigar.

Origin: Nicaragua
Length: 4
Ring: 60
Strength: Medium/Full
Wrapper Type: Nicaraguan Habano
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Shape: Nub

This review is based on two tastings of this vitola. I know there has been some controversy surrounding this line of cigars but to be fair I held my option until the dust settled. I think Sam Leccia has done a fine job marketing as well as answering questions some of us have had here at Club Stogie.

I will refrain from comparing the Nub to other cigars, particularly the Oliva line.

The wrapper is dark brown (not as dark as Maduro brown) and the construction appears flawless. For a cigar this length I was thinking it would probably last an hour at the most but the total smoking time was 1 hour and 35 minutes. I coupled it with one of my favorites - Sierra Nevada Summerfest!!!
nub01jb0.jpg
nub02ci4.jpg

Upon torching the foot I picked up an aroma of coffee and nuts. The first few puffs yielded a lot of white smoke. A sweet almond flavor is apparent along with coffee. The draw was perfect, neither too light nor heavy.
nub03di4.jpg

Some correcting was needed a little at the start but the rest of the burn was even throughout both sittings.
nub04xh2.jpg

I had to do the Nub balancing act!!!
nub07ym2.jpg

The flavor did not change much at this point. The flavor is still almonds and coffee with a little pepper detected but not overpowering.
nub05on9.jpg

The construction on these is apparent in the ash! These really do hold the ash very well!
nub06te0.jpg

The claim to fame on the Nub is the "sweet spot"! This cigar remained consistant in flavor throughout the smoke. I think that the average cigar smoker will never know for sure if he/she is really getting the "sweet spot" with the Nub because the flavors and notes do not change as in other cigars of different vitolas. This cigar was tasty and enjoyable so I will have to trust Sam and his rollers that I am smoking the "sweet spot"!

I burnt my finger on this Nub twice!!!
nub08ka2.jpg

Overall Experience: Good - I recommend you try them if you liked the flavors described in this review.
Construction: 9 out of 10
Price: 8 out of 10
Flavor: 7 out of 10 - medium with nice nutty coffee notes
Appearance: 9 out of 10 - smooth wrapper and nice color

I want to thank the people who have gifted me these over the past few months!!! Thank you ir13 (Joey), bobarian (Bob), and Joan (Joan)!!!:tu

Last edited:
Nice review - I agree with you that Sam has done a nice job especially considering a rough patch he had at the begining here. Their site for the Nubs is very well done and there is a cigar forum on there that looks suspiciously like CS...

I am a big fan of the Olivas and have tried two of all the NUBs, even did a review on a couple of them.

Maybe the build-up made for a let down for me. I did not enjoy the Connie and Cameroon - the Habano was okay though.

Maybe its worth a follow up review on my part.

Just a note - about half of your pics do not show on my laptop, might be my computer - not sure.

Thanks again!

Nice review - I agree with you that Sam has done a nice job especially considering a rough patch he had at the begining here. Their site for the Nubs is very well done and there is a cigar forum on there that looks suspiciously like CS...

I am a big fan of the Olivas and have tried two of all the NUBs, even did a review on a couple of them.

Maybe the build-up made for a let down for me. I did not enjoy the Connie and Cameroon - the Habano was okay though.

Maybe its worth a follow up review on my part.

Just a note - about half of your pics do not show on my laptop, might be my computer - not sure.

Thanks again!

Glad you like the review!

I don't know why the pictures won't show up! I made them in ImageShack!

Note - If anyone else has this same problem please let me know!

Nice review and pics Darrell. I tried to rg ya but it wouldn't let me. :D

I've liked the Cameroon and Habano flavor wise, I just don't find them comfortable to smoke.

Nice review MOBD! Great pics. The habano has nice flavors, but as Ratters said they are not a comfortable smoke. I am a holder(dont like to put my stick down while smoking) and I found the Nub to be a handful.

Nice review MOBD! Great pics. The habano has nice flavors, but as Ratters said they are not a comfortable smoke. I am a holder(dont like to put my stick down while smoking) and I found the Nub to be a handful.

Me too, I hold cigars with my pointer finger around it as it rests on the back of my middle finger. They are quite uncomfortable and awkward to smoke, but I like walking around with it and seeing people's reactions.

I tried one yesterday. I am never going to smoke another Nub Habano though b/c it gave me my worst nicotine buzz yet.

I still have to try the Connecticut and the Cameroon.

I tried one yesterday. I am never going to smoke another Nub Habano though b/c it gave me my worst nicotine buzz yet.

I still have to try the Connecticut and the Cameroon.

I have had the same thing happen with the Oliva O!!! Each of us is different when it comes to nicotine. I didn't really find the Habano strong that way.

"To each his own..."

Great review there, mate. Actually gave me the slight nudge I needed to get meself a few of these.

Back