Nub Habano

CHRONO14

Mid 20's Gorilla
I'm not really into giving reviews (actually I would call this my first one) seeing as everyone's tastes differ. I mean whats strong and spicy or mild and creamy to me may be completely different for everyone here. In addition, I can almost guarantee not everyone is going to agree with my opinion. However, I finally got around to trying one of the Nub Habanos today, liked it and thought I would share.

Now seeing as these have been causing a ridiculous amount of controversy around here I don't want this turning into a bash thread. In fact if you haven't tried them, don't plan too, or don't care please don't post just to bash. Thats not what this is about.

It's definitely not the best cigar I've ever had but its a good all around daily smoke with some good flavor that doesn't disappoint (some may call them yardgars, workin-on-da-car-igars, sittin-in-aboat-tryinto-catchafishy-gar, etc...).The only thing that I didn't like about it was that the wrapper split up near the cap, eventually almost the whole wrapper came off. I've been hearing about other people having problems with this happening to them too. In fact it happened to another Nub when I first picked them up.

I did like the smoke though. I got just a little hint of spice throughout with a good amount of thick white smoke and some nice flavor. The taste and flavor stayed extremely consistent throughout. I know some people don't like that in a cigar, they enjoy the flavor change and complexity of many cigars. In fact I do too with most cigars. However, sometimes having a completely consistent smoke throughout is great when you don't have time to really sit back and pay attention to all the little nuances of a smoke but want something that you know will deliver throughout. These may not be for everyone but I enjoy them and think they're worthy of people giving them a try. I guess I'll have to post up when I finally get around to the Cameroon and Connecticut varieties.

I am guessing that cutting the cigar that has such a large RG might have been a factor in the wrapper coming apart from the head, Chico? What type of cutter did you use for yours?

I found the one that I tried so far (thanks to you, Chico) had pretty near perfect construction. The flavor wasn't my cup of tea, too mild and one-dimensional...but as you said, not bad for a yard-gar type smoke.

I am guessing that cutting the cigar that has such a large RG might have been a factor in the wrapper coming apart from the head, Chico? What type of cutter did you use for yours?

I found the one that I tried so far (thanks to you, Chico) had pretty near perfect construction. The flavor wasn't my cup of tea, too mild and one-dimensional...but as you said, not bad for a yard-gar type smoke.

I used a palio on it which may have been added to the problem. I probably should have used a punch. However, I got another one out of the box that was already split in the same fashion. Also this one looked like it may have been starting too split before I cut it.

I used a palio on it which may have been added to the problem. I probably should have used a punch. However, I got another one out of the box that was already split in the same fashion. Also this one looked like it may have been starting too split before I cut it.

Gotcha...I used a Palio on mine too, and had no wrapper problems at all, Chico.

Too much humidity?

I don't think so they've been sitting at about 65% RH for almost a month now and I don't see any of the other ones cracked. It may just be a fluke, who knows. It just seems that the very first one out of the box and this one having cracked wrappers at the caps is a little weird. On the other ones I've looked at the construction was fantastic. Just with a couple of the Habanos versions have I seen problems. Not a huge deal I still like the smoke.

I would think a "punch" would be the appropriate tool for a large RG cigar. Less chances for potential wrapper issues...:tu

I just got some of the Habano 466's in today!! Gonna give them a couple of weeks or so before I spark one.

Back