NY Times article on the Big Smoke

grrrrr! :mad: flippin' busy bodies. . . will probably sue the magazine for any smoke inhaled while "undercover". What a joke!

Stellar research! An investigation into air quality at an event attended by hundreds of people, all smoking cigars, turns up a higher level of tobacco smoke in the air! Stop the presses!

Psssst.....An investigation into air quality at toll booths on the New Jersey Turnpike turns up evidence of higher-than-normal exhaust emissions!

World ends tonight; film at 11:00.

Well, it seems he confirmed his hypothesis. I don't really care if he tests the air quality, it didn't stop anyone from enjoying themselves. It seems like a waste of money to do something so obvious, but hey, its his grant.

The article makes my butt itch. ;)

:tpd::chk:chk:chk

so intriguing how she said she had asthma and that it was a machine for her in case she had an asthma attack. What the hell you are doing there then would have been my reply. To me they were pretty obvious and would have stuck out like a sore thumbs as they were probably the only ones not drinking eating of smoking.

I can't believe he actually got funding for this. What a genius :confused:

But I loved how his air quality measurments STILL didn't exceed "safe levels", ROFLOL! Send his whiny ass packing.

[BTW, I'm not sure it's safe to have the words "ass" and "packing" in the same sentence. But for the "researcher" I think we can all make an exception :tg ].

Breaking news: Caucasian Americans being outside in the Bronx after dark are exposed to a much more hazardous environment than indoor smoking!!!
Why isn't NYTimes reporting this?

Wow... what an INTERESTING article! It reads like James Bond, but the plot was like the Golden Girls... I can't believe I won't get those precious moments of my life back.

wait.. so smoke actually comes out of a cigar??? and NY times PUBLISHED this :BS???

man someone needs to go smack that guy.. :bx:bx:bx

Breaking news: Caucasian Americans being outside in the Bronx after dark are exposed to a much more hazardous environment than indoor smoking!!!
Why isn't NYTimes reporting this?

This is a ridiculous, derogatory statement and on top of that a poor analogy.

This is a ridiculous, derogatory statement and on top of that a poor analogy.
What I am trying to say is, there are much more important issues the city should deal with than to spend resources preventing people from enjoying their smokes. I am in NY as well and the smoking ban is downright ridiculous. You'd think they'd stop at the ban but now they are moving on to attacking even trade show events.
Sorry if my statement offended you but you know the city (as great as it is) needs a lot of other things than a smoking ban?
BTW... how do you like paying them NY cigar taxes?

BTW... how do you like paying them NY cigar taxes?

I buy my cigars elsewhere :tu

Back to the post. So you were trying to make a point about what the media considers important and draconian smoking laws. Fair enough, I agree that in general the media has its head up its own arse and I don't agree with draconian smoking bans. That being said, making a blatantly offensive statement to make your point isn't necessary and thus I had to call you on it. Also, it derails the debate and we end up talking about the appropriatness of the statment instead of whatever point you were trying to make.

I buy my cigars elsewhere :tu

Back to the post. So you were trying to make a point about what the media considers important and draconian smoking laws. Fair enough, I agree that in general the media has its head up its own arse and I don't agree with draconian smoking bans. That being said, making a blatantly offensive statement to make your point isn't necessary and thus I had to call you on it. Also, it derails the debate and we end up talking about the appropriatness of the statment instead of whatever point you were trying to make.
I apologize for my offensive statements... I have the tendency to say stupid things like that when I see a sensitive subject (other people trying to tell me how what I do is bad for me). And I am definitely sorry that my blunt statement distracted this discussion.
But nevertheless, wouldn't you agree that my statement (mathematically) is true? More people (regardless of their race) die from crimes in the city each year than from smoking cigars. And I SERIOUSLY doubt any of the poor souls in the Marriott that night who had to ride the smoke filled elevators suffered any lasting damages.
Perhaps the bottom line should be... if we see someone at a future Big Smokes event who isn't smoking, he should be BANNED for his own sake.

Xu,

You don't need to apologize to me. It takes quite a bit more to offend me.

Secondly, 579 people were murdered in NYC in 2006. That is a staggeringly low number for a major metropolitan area. Statistics for cigar smokers (that dont include cigarette smokers) aren't used. I dont have the numbers but I would bet that tobacco related deaths FAR FAR outpaced deaths caused by violent crime.

Now, I agree wholeheartedly that it's not fair that cigar smokers get lumped in with cigarette smoker when public policy is drafted. Again though, that is another debate.

Lets face it, smoking is mighty unhealthy. I am an adult, I enjoy my pipes and cigars, and am willing to deal with the results of my choices. Other adults who wish to take the risk of being exposed to cigar smoke should be allowed to. Those who feel that the health risks of second hand smoke are too great should avoid it, its all about choice.

Marriott Hotels announced in July that it was making all of its hotels 100 percent smoke-free, but it has made an exception for the Big Smoke.

Opponents of smoking working with Mr. Kennedy said the exception was a glaring violation of the hotel’s own policy.

Unbelievable. The owners of a hotel chain can do whatever the hell they like IMO. Screw the critics.

And screw that hippy vegetarian non-smoking bed-wetting pussy. :2

:D

I don't even get the point of the this article. People that smoke cigars are exposed to smoke? Geez, and for part 2 they could send him out with a troop of boy scouts so he can measure air quality when they are sitting around a campfire.

Back