Odd Ammonia Taste

morefifemusicanyone

I love factory seconds!
I've gone through about half a box of Sancho Panza Double Maduros (Quixote size). The last two I have had have been tasty for the first 1/3 or 1/2 ish and then start to develop a woody taste. The woody taste quickly turns into Ammonia. Just plain nasty! I did a search on the boards and it seems cigars let off some ammonia when they are resting. This box is ~2 months old or so. Stored in a coolerdor at 70% rh with beads (gotta dry off my beads a little, the basement is too humid). I open the cooler for air exchange at least three times a week. More if I get more opportunities to smoke. The cooler doesn't smell like ammonia and the sticks didn't prelight.

So what is going on? Should I just let them rest more, air them out, any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

I've noticed this happens to my singles even. A strange, kinda 'minty' taste which I can assume is that 'ammonia taste' you mentioned. It's frustrating and you're right, first 1/3 always fine, then it gets bad.

I've decided that it's because my sticks are too moist and/or resting too warm. And they're coming from the B&M (singles) so I'm sure they've been resting and in a good environment.

So I went out and bought a Vino this past weekend. We'll see how they do from here.

As tobacco ferments, it gives off ammonia. Tasting ammonia in a cigar is actually pretty common, especially in CCs, but I have noticed it with most fuller-flavored cigars I've smoked.

Let them sit for 4-6 months, longer if you can. :ss

The rh vexes me, I got the beads too wet initially.

I am going to try hairdrying them and moving the humi upstairs (where the ambient rh is lower). Well see if that helps. I thought the excess moisture may have intensified the ammonia.

But I don't know for sure.

I had a similar problem, I read on here somewhere that if you leave the cigar you are planning to smoke out for about an hour or so it helps. I have tried it and it seems to do the trick.

See if you can't get some pieces of cedar and wrap them in it. The cedar will tend to help draw out the ammonia. I have had the same problem with the Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte Madrid and found that letting them rest 3 -6 months does remove most of the ammonia taste.

Just had an Olivia Serie G and RP Liga A (Edge 2nd) today with the same results. Ammonia blah. Pretty sure there is too much humidity in my coolerdor. I am moving it upstairs and double checking the calibration on my hydro. I am also leaving the lid open upstair (where there is lower rh) for a little bit to see if they can dry out. The cedar is a good idea.

I am also suspisious that it is the fact that they are too moist because I have never had the problem when I take a cigar to work for smoking afterwards and keep it in my cigar caddy all day. I think it may get a little breathing time to dry out.

I will post back and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Back