Oliva cigars question

gvarsity

mr. mom
Are Oliva cigars sneaky strong?

Here is the story. I have smoked some pretty strong cigars and never really had a vitamin N problem. JdN's, Litto Gomez, CC Boli's can get me a little buzzy but never a problem a sip or two of soda doesn't balance out. Last two times I have smoked cigars I had Olivas. First time Serie V beli and the second a serie O robusto. While smoking them I had no sense of real nicotine strength. Good flavor I enjoyed them both. The thing is the next day after smoking these I still had a really strong aftertaste and felt a little ill on both occasions. It could be coincidence it could be whatever but I'm just curious if others have experienced this with Olivas. I have never gotten the impression from reviews etc... that Oliva in general made particularly strong cigars. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

The V is a full smoke so it could have that effect, but I wouldn't say it was more full than the JDN you mentioned. Maybe you just hadn't had enough to eat?

Are Oliva cigars sneaky strong? quote]

I don't think by any means that they are a super strong smoke. But based on how smooth and flavorful they are, without a tell-tale spiciness, I'd say that YES, they could very well sneak up on you.

Especially the V - strength seemed to build quietly from the ones I've had

I noticed this too. My B&M just got in a whole bunch of Olivia stuff, G's O's and V's. I bought a Series G Cameroon to try, and the power was totally surprising. I usually feel pretty good after the buzz of a heavy cigar, but this was something different. It was medium bodied, a ton of smoke with a full drag (like i like it) but it about knocked me off my feet. There was something special about this cigar, something my noobish 4 months of smoking hadn't before experienced. Since then, about 2 weeks ago, I've fallen in love with Olivia. I smoke two or three sticks a week, and in the six I've had since, 3 have been Series G's.
I'm working on a major paper right now, but when it is done, I'm going to celebrate with the biggest Series V he has in stock.

I'll keep you posted... :D

Excellent info. I think we may have a new manufacturer joining CS. I got this message via pm.

Hello,

I am still within the 24-48 hour post restriction so I am writing this private message. I understand this is to prevent spam which I fully appreciate.

As for your question. We pride ourselves on making cigars that are well balanced. This means having the most possible flavor on the palate without any of the harshness that comes from strength. The Nicaraguan tobaccos we use are very full flavored and robust. It could be considered sneaky strong, but certainly not enough to make you sick. I hope this was helpful.

Jose Oliva

I'm happy to be the first of many to publicly welcome Jose Oliva to club stogie. I have to say I really appreciated the personal attention to detail.

The response made a lot of sense, and was noted by others in the thread that the really smooth & balanced blending makes them taste more like a medium strength cigar when they are actually a full strength cigar. They are definitely full flavored and full bodied but balanced. As I said in my response to Mr Oliva this will make me be more intentional about when I smoke an Oliva i.e. on a full stomach, earlier in the evening etc...

I had sushi on one of the nights in question and I don't think it was a substantial enough meal to prelude a full strength cigar. As I also said in my response. I was in no way slighting Oliva cigars I have enjoyed every Oliva I have smoked. I was curious to whether others, as I now understand it, have been fooled by the balance of an Oliva to believing it was a milder strength cigar than they actually are.

Kudos to the Oliva cigars for a great product and equally impressive customer attention.

I love a serie O or G they are both very tasty. Never known them to be too strong though. I've got a V I'm waiting to try. Oliva is one of my favorite brands :ss

I noticed this too. My B&M just got in a whole bunch of Olivia stuff, G's O's and V's. I bought a Series G Cameroon to try, and the power was totally surprising. I usually feel pretty good after the buzz of a heavy cigar, but this was something different. It was medium bodied, a ton of smoke with a full drag (like i like it) but it about knocked me off my feet. There was something special about this cigar, something my noobish 4 months of smoking hadn't before experienced. Since then, about 2 weeks ago, I've fallen in love with Olivia. I smoke two or three sticks a week, and in the six I've had since, 3 have been Series G's.
I'm working on a major paper right now, but when it is done, I'm going to celebrate with the biggest Series V he has in stock.

Try the El Cobre by Oliva, that will knock you off your feet :)

The V series is the heaviest of the normal series, stronger then the G & O. If you want a big Oliva cigar, try the ring 75 10 inch Gigantes from Flor de Oliva (Oliva's budget line)

Oddly enough I had a G about a week ago and felt a little punch at the end...though to myself wow that was weird.

I haven't felt that way in a long time after a cigar.

Oddly enough I had a G about a week ago and felt a little punch at the end...though to myself wow that was weird.

:tpd: I had a series G robusto last week that gave me a little buzz. I didn't remember this as a strong cigar. The series G is a great cigar btw.

The V is definitely a little bit sneaky. I gave one to my Dad and brother over the weekend and it made both of them sick. I've never had a problem with it, but I do find myself a little weak in the knees after having one.

I really like the O's, but they have never struck me as a strong cigar. I have only had a few of the V's and they seem to be a little fuller bodied, but not enough to make me woosy or anything. Maybe there is just a certain tobacco Oliva uses that does not agree with you..

Amen Brotha.
Newly converted Olivia lover myself.

Personally, I love the G Maddies. I've tried three or four different V's and I didn't feel the effects you mention. I've found them to be not very strong at all almost flat. But that's just my opinion.

also like oliva and the v sure did sneak up on me and give me a jolt also. i would have loved to have it be a little more smooth with the strength.

If I could only smoke one brand of cigars I'd probably choose Oliva.

I have a pretty high nicotine tolerance from smoking cigarettes for 38 years before giving that habit up, but have to say the V has some kick to it.

I smoked a V at the herf in Bham. I thought it was a sneaky bastage...

Very smooth, lots of smoke, I enjoyed the taste a good deal. But when I finished it I needed a moment and a Dr. Pepper before I could fire up that WOAM.

I would say its the sneakiest stick for me yet.

:chk(my daughter demanded the chicken)

-pm

If the G did that to ya, I'd try the V after a big steak dinner. I've only had a couple of the Gs, smooth and tasty. I've only got to enjoy one V so far, and it was VERY good, full bodied but smooth, definitely quite a bit stronger than a Serie G.

Back