Oliva Master Blends 2 - Torpedo

jjirons69

Son of Evil Emperor Zurg
I guess you could say I'm somewhat of an Oliva whore. :dr

I ran across the MB3 a while back at the local B&M and had to try it. Here's my thoughts. A little later I saw where Ron1YY had some of the MB2s in his shop and he graciously set me up. I really liked the MB3s and thought the MB2s should be as good. Again, they're definitely an interesting cigar, much like the MB3s. I guess my next quest will be to hunt down some of the 2003 original Master Blends. The word on the net is they are better than the two older brothers. Here's what I found about the MB2s:

The Master Blend 2 is a super premium, super limited cigar manufactured by the Oliva family, limited to 120,000 production units (cigars). This is one of the finest cigars on the market. Crafted in Nicaragua, this cigar is an example of world class blending and construction. The binder and filler are composed of aged tobacco from Nicaragua, and the wrapper is a beautiful sun-grown Sumatra leaf from Ecuador. Rolled to perfection and finished off with a slight box press, the Master Blend 2 is bursting with rich flavor and robust complexity.

Vitola: Torpedo 6.5 x 52
Construction: Beautiful, sort of box pressed, minimal veins, a little toothy, rolled to perfection. You could feel the oil. Also, a little laser-etched tatoo under the band.
Smell: Unremarkable, pleasant
Draw: Perfect!

As the MB3, the MB2 starts off a little spicy and peppery, but not too bad. It mellows after the first 1/2 inch. The flavors are hard to pin down. Kind of earthy and a little leathery. Maybe some bitter flavors of coffee. I didn't get a lot of chocolate/cocoa flavor, but there could've been some mixed in. The flavor is different than most, lots of things going on at once. Not the creamy, sweet maduro flavors I tend to migrate towards. The burn was so-so. They've been resting for a couple of weeks, so I was surprised. I had to catch it up twice. As the smoke progressed, it got stronger and more flavorful. By the time I got to the 1 inch mark, it got sweeter and stronger and was a treat to finish off. Thanks again Ron for the awesome gift! I haven't forgotten you, looking for something besides an old stinky cigar for you.

mb2z.jpg

mb2a.jpg

mb2b.jpg

mb2c.jpg

mb2d.jpg

mb2e.jpg

I kind of like the 'tramp stamp' on the side of that one.

Got a MB3 waiting for me... may have to bring it to the lake.

That was my first box purchase a year or so ago, still have a few left. Still sitting on a number one that I haven't tried yet.

Great review on the stick.

Nice job, Jamie! I haven't tried these yet. I have had the 1 and the 3 and enjoyed both of those. Great review, my man!

Nice review, I can live without a tattoo on my cigars. What's the price on these guys and would you consider it worth the $$

Back