Oliva Master Blends III robusto

MikeyC

SilverBack
My first review with pics!! :chk

Well a few days ago I decided I really need a smoke. So, despite the fact that it was kind of cool (45*F) I lit up an MBIII.

Pre-light: certainly a well built smoke. The wrapper was a bit toothy and very oily. I clipped the tip with my palio and took a couple of draws. There was kind of a nutty flavor and some notes of cedar.
img2140jt3.jpg

1st third: the cigar lit right up with my Xikar dual-torch lighter. The burn started off straight and the draw was just about perfect. Off the bat, there was some pretty good flavor. I tasted some nice spiciness, cedar, and some earthy flavor.
img2142jl1.jpg

2nd third: the cigar continued to burn straight as a rail. Some of the flavors faded away and I was left with only some spice and some earthy flavor. About halfway through the cigar the ash fell off.
img2148vm7.jpg

last third: the final third was fairly similar to the 2nd third. Some spice and an "earthy" flavor. The wrapper started to come off and the end started to "balloon" as well.
img2157ko5.jpg

img2156zn7.jpg

When I got down to the nub which should have been the most enjoyable part, the cigar became tasteless. So, I chucked the nub. :mad:

img2158db1.jpg

Overall, not a bad cigar. Certainly not worth the $10+ most places charge for them. It was a very well constructed cigar, but overall I found the flavor kind of boring. I'll buy almost any cigar that has an intricate band though. :D

img2150ng1.jpg

Great pictures and review! I had one of these about a year ago and thought it was just alright. I have a few more and maybe I should try one again now that they have been resting for a good while. How old was yours?

I like this cigar. don't have them very often but I found it to be a decent smoke.
Thanks for your review.

Great pictures and review! I had one of these about a year ago and thought it was just alright. I have a few more and maybe I should try one again now that they have been resting for a good while. How old was yours?
It's been sitting in my humi at least 2-3 months. So, it's not too old as far as I know.

Thanks for the review. The MB III torpedo is one of my favorite NC cigars although I enjoy the MB I a bit more.

I have to agree with rocky sort of. The MB 2 and 3 are good cigars, but the MB 1 beats them all hands down. Just a great cigar. I have one left... but I know where there are some more...

Great Review and Pics Mike. I enjoyed the one you sent me a while ago :tu
Glad to hear it! :tu

Overall, I thought it was a decent smoke. However, I felt looking at MSRP it was a bit overpriced for what it was. I think I got these on an auction site for much less than MSRP.

Downhill since the OMB I, and THAT is from an Oliva rep I talked to...that is also my opinion on them (I concur)

Downhill since the OMB I, and THAT is from an Oliva rep I talked to...that is also my opinion on them (I concur)

A little side note, the I, II, and III's were all blended at different times, with different crops, and different tastes in mind. To compare the I's to the III's doesn't yield an accurate comparison as they were never meant to taste the same.

I have people tell me they like the III's better then the I's and II's and vice versa so it all comes down to personal preferance.

It's also fair to note if you want to compare them, that the I's your smoking have 5 or so years of age on them. As we all know, flavors, strength, and other characteristics in a cigar change with age.

All in all I like them all. :)

BTW, thanks for the review!

A little side note, the I, II, and III's were all blended at different times, with different crops, and different tastes in mind. To compare the I's to the III's doesn't yield an accurate comparison as they were never meant to taste the same.

I have people tell me they like the III's better then the I's and II's and vice versa so it all comes down to personal preferance.

It's also fair to note if you want to compare them, that the I's your smoking have 5 or so years of age on them. As we all know, flavors, strength, and other characteristics in a cigar change with age.

All in all I like them all. :)

BTW, thanks for the review!

Excellent point about the aging. :tu

I've not had a I or a II. So, I can't really comment about the variations in flavor. The III was pretty decent though.

Back