Oliva "O" Revisited!

longknocker

SilverBack
I wrote a review on 3/18/08 on this same cigar in which I had issues with the wrapper swelling & cracking. I lit up a fresh Oliva "O" Natural torpedo that I purchased this morning from the local Tinder Box B&H. The salesman is a super guy who fixed my lighter for free, so I wanted to at least purchase a cigar from him. Please support your local B&H, gorillas! They really do provide all of us a tremendous service and we need to support their cause. Anyway, I had no issues whatsoever with this smoke! A perfect 10/10! No wrapper tears, just a sweet, full-bodied smoke! Delicious, and , in my opinion, the best in the Oliva line. I wonder if, like another gorilla had suggested in one of my other Oliva reviews, the sampler line from Oliva is not as thoroughly tested as the full boxes. Any ideas regarding this concern, gorillas?

Thanks for the input!

I wrote a review on 3/18/08 on this same cigar in which I had issues with the wrapper swelling & cracking. I lit up a fresh Oliva "O" Natural torpedo that I purchased this morning from the local Tinder Box B&H. The salesman is a super guy who fixed my lighter for free, so I wanted to at least purchase a cigar from him. Please support your local B&H, gorillas! They really do provide all of us a tremendous service and we need to support their cause. Anyway, I had no issues whatsoever with this smoke! A perfect 10/10! No wrapper tears, just a sweet, full-bodied smoke! Delicious, and , in my opinion, the best in the Oliva line. I wonder if, like another gorilla had suggested in one of my other Oliva reviews, the sampler line from Oliva is not as thoroughly tested as the full boxes. Any ideas regarding this concern, gorillas?

Thanks for the input!
This guy has been my "go to" ever sinse the first one I had! :tu Every once in a while I got the same wrapper sweeling and cracking issue also (and I knew it was because of it being too humid as where I'm at it's definitly a "dry heat")

My solution to the problem...you gotta humidify these more than most other smokes. I keep everything else I have at 65% but the "O" line I keep in a "wet box" at least at 70%.

Here's what it says right on Oliva's website...

"Serie O is a Nicaraguan Puro. Made in the original Cuban tradition of growing the same Habano seed in diverse regions of the country to produce a distinct blend. This blend was achieved by growing Habano in Esteli, Condega and Jalapa Valley.

Blending Notes: Notes of dark tobacco with spice and rich cedar
Aging: Puros should be aged at generous humidity levels (70-78%) to preserve the natural oil.

Hope this helps, enjoy the smokes!!!! :ss ~KD

I could smoke only 'O's, 'G's, and 'V's the rest of my life and be happy with that. While I love the 'O' I think the 'V' is far superior. I'm surprised to hear that Olivas like higher RH...I tend to keep most of my stuff between 60 and 65.

I could smoke only 'O's, 'G's, and 'V's the rest of my life and be happy with that. While I love the 'O' I think the 'V' is far superior. I'm surprised to hear that Olivas like higher RH...I tend to keep most of my stuff between 60 and 65.
I agree with the comments about the V :tu definitly in my personal top 5. For the humidity issues I've only run into it with the "O's", everything else I keep at 65% and they burn just fine :ss ~KD

If you like the "O"'s you might want to check out Cigars Int'l this month. The new catalog I got today has the Oliva "O" Robustos for $15/5-pack!

No affiliation with the retailer, I just like to pass along smokin deals.:)

If you like the "O"'s you might want to check out Cigars Int'l this month. The new catalog I got today has the Oliva "O" Robustos for $15/5-pack!

No affiliation with the retailer, I just like to pass along smokin deals.:)

I love the O's...and only had one explode on me...I think ill take advantage of the CI 5 pack deal...Thanks smokin5 :tu

...I wonder if, like another gorilla had suggested in one of my other Oliva reviews, the sampler line from Oliva is not as thoroughly tested as the full boxes. Any ideas regarding this concern, gorillas?

Thanks for the input!

I doubt it. I bought a regular box of torpedoes and after about 2/3 of the stick is smoked, I get a crack about 3/4 of an inch from the nub. This happens on 3 out of 4 of the cigars. I started smoking these when they had the cloth band, and while I love the flavor, I really hate it when I get the crack.

Steve

I just had to put down an O because of the same wrapper problem. I was also kind of unimpressed with the flavors. I just picked up a 5er from the devil site a week ago so they may need some rest. Thanks for the review, I will wait a while and then give them another shot.:ss

Back