Oliva Serie 'G' Maduro

ShaulWolf

Gorilla
Oliva G Maduro Torpedo
6 x 52

I had a long day at work on the farm, and a hard run when I got back home. I didn't want the usual cigars that I have, so I decided to pull this one out since I remember it being rather pleasant. Yup, definitely was a good choice.

The construction is very nice, with a firm packing of sweet, earthy, and cedary tobacco. The wrapper is dark, not too shiny but you can see the oils in it. There are few veins, just what you'd expect from quality maduro leaves. It isn't silky smooth, but it is smooth with a pleasant texture.

The initial taste was puzzling for me. It's unique to the Oliva G cigars, and I can never fully place my finger on it. It's semi-sweet, a little creamy at first, then nutty, finishes cedary, and is mild-medium bodied. I read that it hints coffee as well, but I didn't get that in the initial flavors or in the first third. There's a flavor that I've tasted in Padrons that some describe as safron, but I've never tasted safron so that's the best I can put it. Overall, I like this flavor profile.

The second third had much the same flavors, but the strength built up to medium bodied. I can taste a hint of coffee at the beginning now, then the nuttiness, and the cedary finish. Again, that one flavor that I can't place is there, but it meshes well with the others, and lingers after the cedary finish.

The final third is the same as the second, with a little more body to it as I get down towards the end. It's really quite pleasant, and doesn't change too much throughout, but has enough complexity to keep your palate from being bored.

The draw on it was excellent, giving some resistance that you know you're smoking it, but never getting tough. The one thing to note is that, like most torpedoes, it will get tougher the longer you smoke. This was easily fixed by taking a small snip from the end of the cigar, making it good as new. The burn was quite even, and didn't need any touch ups. There was no bitterness, and I the only reason I purged it at all was as a preventative measure. I'm very glad I was able to get a box of these from the devil's site for a good price, and wouldn't mind getting another when my stock runs low.

The initial taste was puzzling for me. It's unique to the Oliva G cigars, and I can never fully place my finger on it. It's semi-sweet, a little creamy at first, then nutty, finishes cedary, and is mild-medium bodied.
Funny that you mention those two words in your description because I know exactly what you mean. I have found the same "sweet" taste in every Oliva I have smoked so far; the G, G Maduro, and the V. I have an O resting that I am going to smoke next to see if it has the same "sweetness" to it and I just know it is going to. I think I could pick an Oliva out of any blind taste lineup.

Great review.

Could not agree with you guys more. Was on vacation in NC and smoked one of these. I have have the Oliva O before, but just keep coming back to this smoke, not matter how many other cigars I try. I would even pay more for this under priced cigar

Many dittos and great review. One of my go to's and one of the most consistant smokes for the price.

It's a wonderful stick and a great value. Thanks for the review. I usually skip the torpedoes because of the draw problems you mentioned (that goes for any torpedo, not just this one).

Nice review.:tu

i bought a 5 pack a few weeks ago....very nice..i gave 1 to a buddy 2 weeks ago..everytime we talk ...he asks, u got any more..and i tell em yeap just 1 and u aint gettin it ...lol

Back