Oliva Series V Ligero Especial

Teninx

SilverBack
There are several vitolas in this line, which is scheduled to go into general release after the RTDA. I chose the figurado, which is a 6x60 stick that tapers gently to the head. It has the perfecto nipple on the foot, which I generally snip before lighting, but this time I did not. The cigar feels heavy in the hand and is firmly packed. My example had one little soft spot near the foot which was inconsequential to the smoking experiance.

Draw was firm, as may be expected, but not difficult and did open up about
1/3d into the smoke. The first puffs reminded me of Ashton VSG, very smooth and powerful. But that's deceptive. The intensity builds from there, and after the first inch I knew I was smoking the strongest cigar I had ever had. There are some cocoa or chocolate notes in the first third as well as that ligero power but no harshness, not even a hint. By the midway point the flavors are all tobacco with a deep and rich taste. The last third is incredibly strong, but still not harsh or biting with the ligero dominant.

Cigars of this power usually age well, and I'm going to put a couple down for awhile as I can only bet they'll be spectacular after a year or so. This is a cigar that you would enjoy even if you're interested in what full-bodied and powerful means in a smoke.

I always though Oliva was no good until I came here, I still need to try one good one. A Btol gifted me one and it was terrible. But I will give it a chance.

There are several vitolas in this line, which is scheduled to go into general release after the RTDA. I chose the figurado, which is a 6x60 stick that tapers gently to the head. It has the perfecto nipple on the foot, which I generally snip before lighting, but this time I did not. The cigar feels heavy in the hand and is firmly packed. My example had one little soft spot near the foot which was inconsequential to the smoking experiance.

Draw was firm, as may be expected, but not difficult and did open up about
1/3d into the smoke. The first puffs reminded me of Ashton VSG, very smooth and powerful. But that's deceptive. The intensity builds from there, and after the first inch I knew I was smoking the strongest cigar I had ever had. There are some cocoa or chocolate notes in the first third as well as that ligero power but no harshness, not even a hint. By the midway point the flavors are all tobacco with a deep and rich taste. The last third is incredibly strong, but still not harsh or biting with the ligero dominant.

Cigars of this power usually age well, and I'm going to put a couple down for awhile as I can only bet they'll be spectacular after a year or so. This is a cigar that you would enjoy even if you're interested in what full-bodied and powerful means in a smoke.

Great review!! Frank "Jechelman" and I were going to do a long distant tag-team review on the new "V"....Frank in Texas & myself in Washington State. I snagged a handfull from Serious Cigars before they had to pull them from their site and sent him a couple. Still going to fire them up Thursday evening and now that the pressure is off just sit back and enjoy, i.e. screw the note pad. Will still post my thoughts but may be something as short as "YUMMY"

Died in the wool Oliva fan....I will be crushed if I end up giving it anything other than a :tu.

Great review!! Frank "Jechelman" and I were going to do a long distant tag-team review on the new "V"....Frank in Texas & myself in Washington State. I snagged a handfull from Serious Cigars before they had to pull them from their site and sent him a couple. Still going to fire them up Thursday evening and now that the pressure is off just sit back and enjoy, i.e. screw the note pad. Will still post my thoughts but may be something as short as "YUMMY"

Died in the wool Oliva fan....I will be crushed if I end up giving it anything other than a :tu.

:tpd:
Thanks for the excellent review!

John and I are both huge Oliva fans and looking forward to out long distance mini-herf Thursday night with the new Serie V. For comparison purposes I plan to warm up tonight and tomorrow with an Oliva Special S torp and an Oliva Bold Oasis. I'll also post my thoughts after smoking the "V".

Frank

is this the one Pepin Garcia blended for Oliva? or is that one still in the works?

I'm not sure if it's a Don Pepin blend, but it sure could be...I know that Jose Oliva closely worked to develop the blend but I don't know who was in collaboration.

Looking forward to the Jechelman/papajohn67 review after Thursday:ss

Back