Oliva Special S

thunderbucks

Guerilla
To start off, Oliva is simply one of my favorite brands. It is extremely well-priced, and has a unique flavor that I simply love. And although I'm rather familiar with the G and O lines, I'd yet to have the Special S until last night.

Short Torpedo (5 x 52), $6.79, Jungle Jim's Market

Lighting this cigar, similar to most Olivas I've had, was nearly perfect. The toast went well, and this transitioned to a nearly flawless light.

The burn was fairly good...a little bit of canoeing after about an inch, but nothing a little touch-up couldn't fix.

This thing was amazing! As soon as I put it to my lips while lighting, my mouth and lips were greeted with an over-whelming spice. The first half or so was simply delicious. A rather spicy, yet somewhat creamy flavor to the smoke. It still had that distinctive grassy/hay flavor that I seem to always notice in the Olivas, too.

The 1/2 - 3/4 mark started to mellow out a bit...losing some of the spice and some of the creaminess, however, it started to gain a nutty flavor. Also, at this point in the cigar, I was starting to feel the nicotine. I was surprisd with a cigar so seemingly...unharmful, how relatively hard it hit me.

The last 1/4 was actually somewhat dull...it started to heat up some, and lost most distinctive flavor, and started to become this generic, hot smokey smoke. But by no means enough so to ruin the cigar experience.

Overall, I was quite pleased with this cigar. For $7, in comparison to the $3 Serie O, I might not have too many of them. But at the same time, compared to what $7 buys you elsewhere, a very interesting and tasty smoke for the money.

Great Review! I am a big fan of the Special S, had one last night at an Oliva event in town, no dissapointment, to be sure. I had a totally different experience with the last 1/4 though, mine was full of flavorand very creamy all the way to the nub. Awesome smoke IMO.
:tu

Thanks for the excellent review. Oliva makes some fine cigars including the Special S. Smoked the S Torp earlier this week (thanks Papajohn67), really enjoyed it, but as much as I liked it I like the G Maduro and O Maduro even more, especially at about 1/2 the cost.

Frank

Thanks for the excellent review. Oliva makes some fine cigars including the Special S. Smoked the S Torp earlier this week (thanks Papajohn67), really enjoyed it, but as much as I liked it I like the G Maduro and O Maduro even more, especially at about 1/2 the cost.

Frank

That's right!! I've heard Frank will even tap dance for you if you give him a Oliva Maduro. :cb

Back