Oliva V Belicoso 5x54

jkorp

·~«{·B'lieve Hon·}»~·
I Haven't done a review in a while so I thought I would post one tonight of a stick I have been waiting to spark. The Oliva V Belicoso is beautiful stick, the construction was flawless and the band is large and in charge.

The head clipped perfectly, no cracking or deformation, but what do you expect when using a Palio :chk.

As you can see I paired this with a Kubler louche, only the second cigar I have tried with Absinthe.

This stick was very enjoyable, but it didn't start that way. The first 1/4 there was good smoke and a rich tobacco taste.

At this point the draw became restricted and smoke production dwindled. I checked the head and could see tar starting to build up. It was time to re clip the head, and just when I was getting a nice ash going....:mad:

I knew the ash was doomed, but I tried to gingerly re-clip the head to no avail. As I do out of habit for what ever reason, I purged after the re-cut and smoke flowed once more, as well as more intense flavors. I didn't get any more than a very rich tobacco flavor and maybe leather.

Smoking continued and again I notice the draw worsening and smoke with only much effort. So again I check the head and there is a ton of tar. Another re-clip is in order so I get to it.

No we are talking smoke, we are at the last 3rd and this thing has really taken off. Intense tobacco, leafy rich flavors coming through along with TONS of smoke. She has found her stride and has become very satisfying.

I decide I will take this to nub town and break out my recently unearthed pick tool. I have no idea what this thing was for, but it occurred to me the other day that I had this animal and it would be could for poking and nubbing.

I nubbed it and I was happy to do so. I enjoyed this stick, but it took awhile for it to get great. I have a Figurado (perfecto) and a Double Robusto left to try, maybe one of these sizes better suits this blend.

All in all I would say a great stick, I wouldn't buy this vitola because I didn't like the constant tar build up, but I won't write her off yet.. We'll see how the other sizes perform.

I do think this was a good pairing with Absinthe. This stick had no bite or pepper and no spice really and I think this worked with the louche. The other stick I have paired with this was a PL Panatela and I really like the synergy there.

The Facts:

Wrapper: Nice medium dark brown, very attractive
Hand Feel: Very light, but then again it's just barely over robusto size
Band: The V series band is quite attractive, I wonder how much of the cost is in the band.....
Construction: Nice and firm, clean
Draw: post cut and prelight, the draw was great. Post light and all the through the burn the draw was great.
Smoke: varied in degrees through out the smoke
Burn: fairly even, got a little ragged near nubbification
Ash: Firm but had to knock prematurely due to re-clips

I hope you have enjoyed this review.

I just picked one of these up the other day, looking forward to trying it out now. Hopefully I won't have a tar build up, if I do I'll just grab the Palio again :tu

Thanks; I appreciate the breadth of reviews coming in on the Serie V. I'll have to try the Beli for sure!

Ahh, the double ligero, this is an awesome line for Oliva. My favorite salesman at my B&M recommended this smoke, I got the belicoso & robusto. This was my first go-round with Oliva, I fell in love with these. I really like full flavored stoges (La Gloria Cubana #5 one of my favs) and these really satisfied me. I think I have smoked 4 in the past month. They will be tremendous with about 2-3 years on them. My 2 cents.

Great review. These are very good smokes. I purchased a 5-pk of Dbl Robusto's, and went back to order a box and they were all gone. I agree, I think these will be excellent with a little time.

Back