Oliva V Lancero

lenguamor

Gorila Cabrón
No pics. Big "Thank you!" to PapaJohn67 for gifting me this so I could try it.

Beautiful wrapper, flawless really. A perfect dark caramel color, no veins; cap was near perfect as well.

Upon lighting, just straightforward tobacco flavors, a hint of charred wood.

Problem is, that's where it stayed the whole cigar. Not bad, just not interesting. No changes in flavor or character, no variations that signaled anything more than a nice tobacco...not great, not even necessarily good - just nice. OK.

Boring.

Strong though. Very strong for its size, flavor and appearance.

All in all, not a brand I'm going to be tempted to try again.

My B&M got these, and a few other sizes, in this month, and I picked a few of the lanceros up. I smoked one Thursday, and I have to say I agree with you. Just not that impressive. I also didn't think it was very strong. I'll let the others sit a few weeks, and revisit them; might change my mind.

I smoked a robusto and thought it was very good until about the last 2" when it got very ammonia-ish. IMO this is a NC with aging potential. So I snagged a few more from the same box at the B&M. Gonna try one again in 6 months or so. 94 rating? Meh.......

I have had good experience with the 'V', size Lancero so far. I smoked about 5 of them and they all burned great, no canoeing, firm draw, tight ash. And the flavor is medium-ish slightly on the full side strength, kind of strong but rich tobacco taste and flavor.. I think it tastes great. Tastes great to the point that I now have two boxes unopened, 36 sticks to a box, napping for some aging and future enjoyment.

My B&M got these, and a few other sizes, in this month, and I picked a few of the lanceros up. I smoked one Thursday, and I have to say I agree with you. Just not that impressive. I also didn't think it was very strong. I'll let the others sit a few weeks, and revisit them; might change my mind.

I picked up a fist full of this size about a year ago , I thought the same thing..
Maybe I will spark one up this week end to see..

I enjoy the V's quite a bit, especially the lancero. But occasionally you can get one that is very tight. I dont find them overly complex, but enjoy the flavors. These may not be your cup of tea. :ss

Smoking one of these right now. Figured I would do a real time review.

First 1/3: VERY NICE. Abundant flavor but not at all harsh. Spice and wood with a hint of sweetness that comes and goes. Very recognizable Nicaraguan flavor. Nice depth to the flavor, especially on the nose exhale and finish. One can tell that a lot of work went into this blend. Burn and draw are picture perfect.

Second 1/3: Lots of subtle flavor changes with the sweetness becoming a bit more upfront. Nose exhale is pure spice with a tart finish. The flavor is slowly getting "darker". 1 small burn correction.

Final 1/3: Getting a bit of ammonia and a flame purge didn't help. This is definitely a cigar that needs a year or so nap. Put 'er down at about 2.5".

Final thoughts: Very similar smoking experience that I had with the robusto. Starts out fantastic but got pissy toward the end. Kinda like my ex wife! :r

A lot of the reviews about the V Lancero puzzle me. I have had a number of them over the past year, with varying amount of age, up to about a year, and they are nothing to brag about. There is very little if any complexity, however, if you favor straight forward tobacco flavor, I guess you would like them. The real King of the Vs is the Double Robusto, however, they don't show their stuff until they have a minimum of an honest six to eight months of age.

A lot of the reviews about the V Lancero puzzle me. I have had a number of them over the past year, with varying amount of age, up to about a year, and they are nothing to brag about. There is very little if any complexity, however, if you favor straight forward tobacco flavor, I guess you would like them. The real King of the Vs is the Double Robusto, however, they don't show their stuff until they have a minimum of an honest six to eight months of age.

Ditto? But the belicoso I always seemed to enjoy the most. They definitely open up and change after that length of age.

John, I get the total opposite. More complexity and flavor in the lancero than any other size. :r

No pics. Big "Thank you!" to PapaJohn67 for gifting me this so I could try it.

Beautiful wrapper, flawless really. A perfect dark caramel color, no veins; cap was near perfect as well.

Upon lighting, just straightforward tobacco flavors, a hint of charred wood.

Problem is, that's where it stayed the whole cigar. Not bad, just not interesting. No changes in flavor or character, no variations that signaled anything more than a nice tobacco...not great, not even necessarily good - just nice. OK.

Boring.

Strong though. Very strong for its size, flavor and appearance.

All in all, not a brand I'm going to be tempted to try again.
Thanks for the review. I agree the lancero I smoked was boring and it reminded me of smoking a slightly larger cigarette. I enjoy the torpedo and the double robusto but the lancero just did not do anything for me.:2

The Oliva V Lancero is one of my favorite sticks.

I will agree that it has a rather muted taste that stays consistent. It's subtle flavor combined with a creamy smoke aftertaste makes me a happy man.

If you want something with a little more flavor and changes taste as you smoke it, I suggest giving the Illusione HL a try.

Back