Olive V Lancero...a newbs perspective

sikk50

Sigh...
Well, I just got done (kinda) with my first Olive Series V Lancero. I've loved the Series G and O, this was my first of the V family. I hate to say this, but I am terribly let down. It smelled great, and had a smooth taste, and a burn as straight as a razor, but the tietest (sp?) draw I have ever had. I tryed everything from punching, to cutting pretty much the entire cap off (little bits at a time of course). I know they are short smokes, so I tried to push through it telling myself it would get better, but I found myself just looking forward to the end. This is the first time I've ever had a poor experience with a cigar's draw, and sadly it has turned me off to the Series V pretty much entirely. I'm happy I only had one in the humi, I just don't see myself ever trying another of these.

Ok, thanks for reading, /rant

i was let down by this one too! Seemed to have the same one flavor all they way through. For the strength the stick had, I expect it to taist better and offer more complex flavors.

I think you may have had a bad stick, never experienced any tightness in them. I have never had a problem with any of the Oliva V's, and I particularly like the Lancero. I know everyone has their own taste preferences but it a lot of people seem to like these, myself included. Give it another try and see how that one smokes :tu

These are my favorites out of the line. Not really a short stick, about 40-45 minutes. I have had a few tight draws too. But I dryboxed them for a week and they were fine and smoked really great. I won't light a cigar if the draw is too tight. They do much better at low rh levels.

:2

I would give them another try...it may have just been a bad stick The lancero is my favorite of the line. I find that you need to smoke them very slow so it doesn't heat up on you...and by doing so you are rewarded with a fantastic flavor. If the lancero is not for you, you may want to try a different vitola.

If you find that you do not like them..I guess that just leaves more for me :D

Good luck!

Yeah, I guess it's pretty closed minded of me to just write them off entirely. But I would seriously compair it to trying to suck a grape through a straw

The one that I smoked had an extremely tight draw as well that pretty much ruined the experience. I might try another some day.

Yeah, I guess it's pretty closed minded of me to just write them off entirely. But I would seriously compair it to trying to suck a grape through a straw

I wouldn't say close minded. It's really hard to go back and spend hard earned money on something that you did not enjoy (I believe Einstein put it best with his definition of insanity)...but due to the fact that cigars are hand made and tend to have some inconsistencies in general...a second try is usually worth it.

Like mentioned earlier, if you do try another, you may want to let it dry out a little bit. Leave it on the counter for 20-30mins before lighting her up.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the review, and while I can understand your frustration, to write of an entire line of cigars based on an experience with one stick might be a mistake. Perhaps waiting a bit and trying a different vitola will give you a different perspective. Could be that you won't ike the V's, but then again, you may be passing up something that could be a mainstay for you.

When the V lanceros are on they are great. But, the consistency is not the best. I've had one with a soft spot so severe you could basically pinch the cigar until your fingers touched. Best of luck on your next experience.

FYI, I think you were looking for "tightest". :tu

I really like the Lancero, but I have had a few that have had there issues...I still go back to them time and time again...

Seems like my luck is about 1 good for every 3 on the lancero's V's and tight draw but when the are 'on' the are really 'on.'

I've had a couple lanceros and both of them had burn/draw issues. My preference in the V's is for the double robustos and torpedos.

Yeah, the lanceros are really hit or miss with the draw. Flavor-wise I don't like them as much as the Gs at all. The cigar has had a lot of hype, but is really just sort of meh in my book.

I posted a thread a bit ago as to why the Lancero was one of the hardest cigars to roll.
The response I got was with regard to it's length and smaller ring gauge make getting the roll difficult in order to achieve the perfect draw.

I DO think you simply got a tight cigar and not necessarily indicative of the cigar blend in general.

Try another from a different box or try a different vitola and post again.

I've never had this cigar so I'm curious about ALL the reviews.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience, I haven't had any draw issues with the larger RG Oliva V's but I have had some burn issues (which seemed to fix themselves after some rest). I wouldn't write it off completely, maybe get one and let is rest for a long while as this is a pretty good stick IMHO. But if number two doesn't do it for you, stay away forever:D.

Back