Oliveros Cuban Spliff

macjoe53

Alpha Silverback
I dropped by my local B&M and while looking around in the walk-in humidor when I saw a box of Cuban Spliffs. Haven't seen or heard about these so when the owner came into the humidor I asked about them. She said they were her husband's newest favorite daily smoke. I bought three to try. I decided to let them rest for a few days before trying the first one and I checked them out on the Oliveros website. (www.oliveroscigars.com/cubanspliff-page.htm). They are 6 x 50.

I decided to smoke one this morning and shoot some photos. They have a very rough look with a twist at the cap and rough foot.

I twisted off the "tail" on the cap, checked the draw which was very easy and lit it. Not have much experience with a cigar with a rough foot, I just gave it my best shot until it was evenly burning. First draw was actually pretty mild with just a slight spiciness. It produced plenty of smoke. The burn was uneven at the start and I soon found myself touching it up a little.

That helped and it burned fairly even for a while and produced a gray/white ash. Then I noticed a couple of small cracks in the wrapper. I didn't notice it causing a problem, so I kept smoking. The flavor was still pretty smooth and mild, light creaminess is the best I can describe it. I watch the wrapper and notice that small cracks kept appearing.

It started burning uneven again and then the ash dropped off about a third of the way through. The spiciness became more noticeable and I thought it was getting stronger. Then it really started burning uneven (see photo). I touched it up again and kept smoking.

It really started getting stronger at this point and started getting almost harsh. The ash stayed pretty straight though. I smoked it down to about 2 inches and put it out at that point. I like medium to full bodied smoke but this was getting a little too much for my taste.

I've posted the photos in an album in the non-cuban cigar gallery. (Oliveros Cuban Spliff)

Last edited:
Smoked one last night after letting it rest for a week. Great burn, billowing smoke, mild, bland and not worth the novelty of the shape and style. They do look cool, I'll give 'em that. A passable $1 cigar, a bad $4 cigar. :2

Smoked one last night after letting it rest for a week. Great burn, billowing smoke, mild, bland and not worth the novelty of the shape and style. They do look cool, I'll give 'em that. A passable $1 cigar, a bad $4 cigar. :2

I have three more of them. I was going to use them for bombs or trades but I wouldn't do that to a BOTL. I'll wait and see how they work as gnat repellant when I go fishing in November.

Back