Open Box in Humi?

BiggDawg

ChestBeater
I have usually bought my cigars in 5-paks, 10-paks and one or two boxes at a time. I'll open them into the humi, and not generally get another box until I am holding less than a full box open.

Good fortune and a few excesses, :al and I have now moved to multiple boxes aging. I have just acquired a mid-sized humidor set up to accomodate the boxes as well, but I have a question for any one who has experience here.

Should boxes be opened in the humi if they are being left to age? Seems that without opening, the humidity of the humidor will not affect the contents much.

So, if shrink-wrapped or packed in cellophane, should that wrapping be removed from the box before putting the box into storage?
And, if so, should the boxes seal be opened and the box be open in the humi?
Is it better to take the sticks out of their boxes and put into separate cells in the humi, or is it better to leave them undisturbed in their original box if possible?

Inquiring minds want (need? :confused: ) to know.
Thanx, guys!

Take shrink wrap off.....put whole box in....The best... form everything i've learned around here.

for more info do a search....

Take shrink wrap off.....put whole box in....The best... form everything i've learned around here.

:tpd: Definitely take off the shrink wrap; it's not always known how well they were cared for by their previous handlers.

for more info do a search....

Thanx.
Did search, didn't turn up much of value.
Sometimes searching in the ocean, it's hard to find the individual fish...

Thanx.
Did search, didn't turn up much of value.
Sometimes searching in the ocean, it's hard to find the individual fish...

Let me help ya with how to do an effective search...

click search...than at bottom click...advanced search...than change what your searching to "in titles only"...hope this helps.

IMO, and take it for what it's worth. I leave the shrink wrap on if I'm planning to age for a long time. If I"m going to smoke them in less than a year then it comes off.

I think the shrink wrap does two things. It will keep the box at an exact RH even if you open the humi/cooler often and the most important thing it does for me is it keeps me from opening the box and smoking all the cigars.

I may be wrong with this but I'll take a chance.

IMO, and take it for what it's worth. I leave the shrink wrap on if I'm planning to age for a long time. If I"m going to smoke them in less than a year then it comes off.

I think the shrink wrap does two things. It will keep the box at an exact RH even if you open the humi/cooler often and the most important thing it does for me is it keeps me from opening the box and smoking all the cigars.

I may be wrong with this but I'll take a chance.

The shrink wrap should retard and possibly enhance aging - you might want to open to inspect first though; then re wrap the boxes. This gives you a chance to address any potential quality issues with your vendor. Hard to send an email complaining 5+ years after the fact re: moldy or otherwise questionable sticks.

You can leave it on or take it off. Its all a preference on what you want to do.

Personally, I take the wrap off then just store he closed boxes. Others do different. There realy is no right or wrong with this one.

The shrink wrap should retard and possibly enhance aging - you might want to open to inspect first though; then re wrap the boxes. This gives you a chance to address any potential quality issues with your vendor. Hard to send an email complaining 5+ years after the fact re: moldy or otherwise questionable sticks.

Or worse yet, beetles.
I always take cello off to inspect incoming product, then, if aging, put the boxes on the bottom of the cooler so I'm not tempted to harrass them.

Back