Opening Fishing

D

drwebs03

Alright all you experts out there, as you probably guessed opening fishing is just around the corner. And I couldnt think of a better way to enjoy the greatest day of the year with the best cigar around. So I was wondering if you wouldnt mind handing out some advice about your favorite smoke that will last a little while. isom and non. Thanks it will be fully enjoyed

They just cancelled a walleye tournament on Lake Erie this weekend because some geniuses dumped 10,000 gallons of oil in the lake. So much for opening fishing around here.

I was about to list my regular favorites when I remembered you want something that will last a while. I usually smoke robustos, or other vitolas I can finish in 30 to 45 minutes.

The Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Double Robusto is a great smoke. Might not last as long as a big, honkin' churchill, but I don't think you'll be disappointed (assuming you can find one).

The El Rey del Mundo Robusto Larga is among my favorites. I've never tried their Robusto Suprema, but at 7.25 X 54 it should last for some time.

The Partagas #10 Maduro is another that I enjoy. Haven't had one of those in a while.

I don't have much ISOM experience, so that's all I have to offer.
Enjoy.

For a bigger smoke HdM Excal #1 mad is a good smoke.
It should give you an hour and a half or two if you are
a slow smoker.

our opener in mn is not till may 11

our ice is still on thelake!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldn't smoke too $$$ of a cigar especially out in a windy
boat situtation. large ring gauge is my rec.
52 + whatever the brand you like!
hey dont' break it off when you set the hook --- done that a time or 2

For ISOMS, I`d go with Montecristo #4 or Punch Petit Punch.
Non-ISOM: Don Carlos #2, Hemingway Classic, Padron Anniversario Maduro, or VSG Illusion.

Fishing gets boring. So that`s my list of favorite cigars (some of them, at least). If you can`t enjoy fish, at least enjoy a cigar ;)

-Skyler

try smoking a tulabee or a walleye, but if all else fails, like no walleyes, try a Bolivar Corona Grande. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm:9

Minnesota's isnt till may 11 either but we dont have any ice on our lakes. And I figure that for an event of this magintude its best to get ready early.

Jim, you are a phony!!!! We all know you didn't really catch that Trophy Muskie on leech lol. Besides, what kind of man can't keep a cigar lit while fishing anyway which leads to my list of fishing cigars.

It is usually windy on the lake for the most part where I fish anyway so I don't waste a good ISOM or expensive domestic like an Opus. I go with something strong that doesn't cost too much so I can get the flavor without worrying about it coming apart from my chewing it up while taking fish off my line. Bolivar Fuerte's, El Original's, and the EStavan Cruz Short Cruz or among my "have to have" on the lake. Flyfishing is a different story. I like something mellow like a Hemingway Signature, or a Cusano Exclusivo, and something to consider is that a long cigar gets in the way of the rod and my casting. I must point out tho, that a Lars or acid is right out!!! If the aroma doesn't draw in more mosquito's than raid can kill, then it will surely add to stomach nausea in the boat, or at the very least will offend even the fish into not biting lmao.

And I want to add a remark intended on aggravating that poser who calls himself Hell Yeah Cigar Guy-he is really a closet macanudo portofino smoker lol, I just wanted to say this "I will bet you a box of my best cigars (Don Alberto limited edition royales triple fermented with pre-embargo tobacco and a double binder with real gold inlay on the band and the box made of ELephant Ivory) that I can catch a bigger fish than you on Opening day. So what is it to be Mr. Jim? Game on and cigar lit, or cigar out, and chicken out? PS. Must be present to win, none of this pulling that Muskie out of your freezer-you know the one, that fish you caught three years ago-I will know!!! Besides, the eyes are all freezer burned anyway lol.

Hey Jimbo check out my new signature!!!!!

Since you decided to sell my box of Gurkha Pyramids I am going to tell everyone here your secret to catching fish......The Fling lure and the Banjo minnow......

Don't forget to spray them with a healthy dose of Bait Mate too!

PS. When are you going to give up that sissy sport of fishing and go big game hunting with me in Montana? Let's bow hunt for bear, or Elk, and if you are really a man maybe you might bring some of those Salazar's you are stashing heh?

Back