Option to buy.

kansashat

What would Skeeter do?
Pardon if this has already been discussed.

I noticed an "option to buy" outright when bidding at c-bid this week. They dangled it out there like an insurance policy after I set an auto bid on a box of cigars. It was a coupla bucks higher than my highest bid.

It stayed around for a day or so, then disappeared.

Has anyone noticed this? Anyone used it? I am curious as to the what would happen if someone did use it......would they sell you one of the offered boxes, or a seperate one out of the warehouse?

Just saw that and used it on a box purchase. I guess like eBay's Buy It Now. Sucks... just makes me even more tempted to pull the trigger.

It can mess with your bidding strategy though. I set a price I didn't want to higher than and the Option to Buy was only 5 bucks more. Lucky for me though that the auction is now over my option to buy price.

Just saw that and used it on a box purchase. I guess like eBay's Buy It Now. Sucks... just makes me even more tempted to pull the trigger.

It can mess with your bidding strategy though. I set a price I didn't want to higher than and the Option to Buy was only 5 bucks more. Lucky for me though that the auction is now over my option to buy price.

You used it? Did it reserve one of the bid boxes for you, or did they sell you a box from the warehouse seperate from the auction? Also, did it let you out of the auction?

It must only be on the box listings.....didn't see it on a fiver of RP SG's I won this weekend in the "Quickies."

I saw it on a few boxes.

I noticed on some Pepin Legends they had it at $45, and the bidding on the lot of 8 boxes was currently $41-$43. I noticed later the option to buy went away when there was 6 boxes selected on the option to buy. The bidding for the 8 other cigars in the normal bidding lot was still going on and the bidding on those was now in the $43-$45 range.

I speculate cigarbid has a historical model/algorithm of what the bid on an item usually comes out to. Temper that with how much they are willing to sell them for and than decide how many boxes they will sell at those prices.

I don't think you can know when the "option to buy" will close. For the Pepin Legends I don't know where the bidding ended, but it sure seems like the "Option to buy" was very close to the normal bidding in this case. Don't know if that will always be the case.

I usually track what I intend to buy for a few weeks to see what the best price I can get. Therefore, I don't think I will use the "Option to Buy" function. My strategy didn't work in the case of those Pepin Legends, howeer. I bought a box a few months ago for $55 - the price seems to have come down on them.

BillyBarue

Yeah, it was the Pepin Legends that I used it on. From what it looks like on the site; it sold additional inventory and left the original 9 for bidding. Interesting twist. There were 2 options used after me.

Personally, I like it. With CA taxes, even overpaying on C-Bid is still a deal.

Back