Opus X - Belicoso XXX???

RevSmoke

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Fuente Fuente Opus X Belicoso XXX (at least that is what I think it is)

A short belicoso, about 4.5X50, a red band around the foot (is that the Beli. XXX??). It is in the wrong box at the B&M. Got it for $17.00. Pulled the trigger on it because the rest of the gorillas here have been talking up Opus Xs.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: This had a gorgeous, reddish brown (used to be called a Colorado Maduro??) wrapper. Veins were minimal and a light sheen of oil glistened beckoningly (is that a real word - or have I just adverb-ized a word - do I get credit for i?) OK, I think you get the idea that it looks great.
Score for aesthetics: 4.9

2) Pre-light Construction: This is a dense and tightly rolled stick. I nose both the length and the foot of this cigar - it is enticing with spice predominant along the length and robust tobacco smell at the food (sorry, that’s a real description)
Score for Pre-light construction: 4.7

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: I didn’t have a problem with the draw, that was easy. No soft spots. It remained nice and cool. The ash was flaky white and held for a good inch to inch & a half. But... This bad boy couldn’t burn straight to save it’s soul. I even set it down and let it go out to try and restart it. It only evened out the last inch and a half. Way too late to make me happy.
Score for post-light construction: 2.2

4) Flavor and strength: I must say, I did like it. It wasn’t a powerhouse that knocked me over, but there was a nice spice that came through the entire length, sometime stronger, sometimes weaker, but never gone. There was a complexity that was wonderful - earthiness, sweet, rich, and very tasty.
Score for flavor and strength: 4.5

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Score for aftertaste: This finished with spice and cinnamon, pleasantly lingering for a few moments.
Score for aftertaste/finish: 4.7

6) Aroma: This one had a fairly nice aroma, I enjoyed the side-slip smoke. It was med-bodied, again that spiciness lingering there.
Score for aroma: 4.5

7) General Comments: Well, this wasn’t bad, not bad at all. I must say that I really like the flavors and it is pretty to look at, that part almost lives up to the hype. The band itself is a work of art. But.. do I really consider the price worth the smoke? Considering I’ve had two in my lifetime and both of them burned so unevenly bothers me. I should be able to just sit back and enjoy a stick in this price range. But, those are the musings. The flavors and aesthetics are definitely there. Maybe I’m just a tightwad... :) If they were near $10 a stick, I think I’d be less reluctant. Not that this isn’t a great smoke, but whether it is worth it to me.
Overall score for the cigar: 4.5

Thanks for the review! These can often be found cheaper than 17.00. They also get much, much better with age. I give the FFOX cigars at least a year of relaxation prior to burning. Its a night-and-day difference, guaranteed!

yeah $17 is a bit high. I am surprised you didn't smell raisin on the. Pre light draw.

Nice review. I like the power rangers a lot burn problems happen but are usually rare. Storing at 65% will help if you don't already. Also age actually helps them as they are wet young.

I like em fresh. Haven't had one in some time, but true about the burn problems. They're just very oily cigars.

yeah $17 is a bit high. I am surprised you didn't smell raisin on the. Pre light draw.

Nice review. I like the power rangers a lot burn problems happen but are usually rare. Storing at 65% will help if you don't already. Also age actually helps them as they are wet young.
My thoughts too, give them a year or two and they are great.

Good review. I love the pre-light smell of opus as well as the smell while burning. It is ironic that you commented on the burn as a buddy of mine and I smoked 2 opus the other day (not the belicoso) and the burn on his was awful. I would say it canoed atleast an inch and he had to relight 3 times. I have never had a problem though, which I think is weird.

Back