organically grown tobacco

Coffee Grounds

Evolving Lead Gorilla
I recently bought a box of Plasencia Reserva Organica Edición Limitada Piramide which is the organic tobacco.
Its a very well made smoke with smooth earthly flavors on the mild side.

I really can't tell the difference in taste with the organic grown tobacco.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks

There is no difference in the actual tobacco, just no pesticides or herbicides being used. I went to school for agronomy, and it makes me mad to see the label "organic". Organic does not really mean what you think, many many pesticides and herbicides are still used, its just that if you don't use certain ones, you can legally put "organic" on it. The food industry does this, and it is a very large scam in my opinion. Many of the "organic" produce does more harm to the environment than traditionally grown products. With "organic" the farmer has many more weeds and pests, so in order to get rid of these, they must do more tillage, which promotes fast erosion, which also leads to the use of an outrageous amount of fuel etc, also, no fertilizers may be used other than manure, so organic fields often has very, very poor quality soil, as they cannot replenish the nutrients taken off the field... sorry for the rant, but its my passion in life to destroy the "organic" label. :)

There is no difference in the actual tobacco, just no pesticides or herbicides being used. I went to school for agronomy, and it makes me mad to see the label "organic". Organic does not really mean what you think, many many pesticides and herbicides are still used, its just that if you don't use certain ones, you can legally put "organic" on it. The food industry does this, and it is a very large scam in my opinion. Many of the "organic" produce does more harm to the environment than traditionally grown products. With "organic" the farmer has many more weeds and pests, so in order to get rid of these, they must do more tillage, which promotes fast erosion, which also leads to the use of an outrageous amount of fuel etc, also, no fertilizers may be used other than manure, so organic fields often has very, very poor quality soil, as they cannot replenish the nutrients taken off the field... sorry for the rant, but its my passion in life to destroy the "organic" label. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

the plus side to organic growing is that you're not introducing man made chemicals into the soil/air thru fertalization/pest control-i'd rather smoke something naturally occuring than man made-tillage on a hillside may promote faster erosion, but have you ever tried running a tiller on a hill-can't see many tobacco farmers doing that-most of the tobacco fields i've seen are flat-any farmer that know squat about organic farming rotates crops to replenish nutrients, leaving fields unharvested to enrich the soil-there's no reason organic nutrients can't be used to build soil nutrients back up-tastewise there's not a lot of difference if crops are grown correctly either way-yamaha does have a point about the organic label when taken technically, & as far as fuel used when the farmers choose to use it-just my:2

the plus side to organic growing is that you're not introducing man made chemicals into the soil/air thru fertalization/pest control-i'd rather smoke something naturally occuring than man made-tillage on a hillside may promote faster erosion, but have you ever tried running a tiller on a hill-can't see many tobacco farmers doing that-most of the tobacco fields i've seen are flat-any farmer that know squat about organic farming rotates crops to replenish nutrients, leaving fields unharvested to enrich the soil-there's no reason organic nutrients can't be used to build soil nutrients back up-tastewise there's not a lot of difference if crops are grown correctly either way-yamaha does have a point about the organic label when taken technically, & as far as fuel used when the farmers choose to use it-just my:2

Good input also

Thanks for the info guys.

before i started smoking cigars, when i had other hobbies, i'd get the cheapest nastiest cigars i could find, soak em in warm water for a few days, & use the liquid thru a sprayer for a pesticide-worked pretty darn well, called it bug juice

I have seen quite a few Amish farmers grow tobacco. They amend the soil with the stuff that makes the smell of "good country air":D Talked to a family while a man stood in a "pile" and said oops the "honey wagon" spilled in front of the barn. He was barefoot and squeezing his toes in it as he smoked a home rolled stogie!:)
Amish amending of crops in PA has led to some really interesting water situations in the area! Needless to say the fish don't live in the creeks there anymore!! But, its great for growing tobacco.
I smoked a Nestor Reserve too. To be honest I can't tell the difference between a Organic and "inorganic" (laughable thought) !!
Being a vegetarian you would think I could tell the difference!!!:r
I smoked a Nestor Reserve and it kinda reminded me of that maduro Paso Doble. It would have been pretty good if I had let it set for a while but I smoked it same day I got it just to see what it was like.
You know those tobacco grubs can get pretty big eating those leaves...I wonder if they like the Organic better than the Inorganic ? <chuckle, snort>:r
Does Nestor make a "natural"...The one I smoked was a MUD-URO! Sorry about the PUN!!!:ss
I hear tell the KUBANS use more Chicken Manure on their fields than cow...But I guess that is the difference beetween the AMISH and KUBANS!!:bl

ORGANICALLY speaking the MUD-Duro from NESTOR was okiedokie! Could have used more amending but that is ok! Not a bad construction and burned well with no real issues other than a little settling in the HUMOR-DOOR!!

I would image they wash the leaves anyways... plus the aging on most older smokes would probably break down any pesticides still in teh plant material.. Or I could totally be wrong. :tu

Back