Organizing my humidor

I am going to be recieving my humidor in the near future. It has a drawer for loose cigars and and the rest of it can store boxes. After getting it stabilized/seasoned, would it be better to put all of the cigars in the drawer as long as I have space or keep the ones that arrive in boxes as they are, only keeping the singles in the drawer? Being new, I will have the option to do either due to my collection being minimal at first. My goal is to make sure these little guys have the best possible home to age the best. Any opinions are appreciated in advance.

Keep the boxed cigars in the boxes if your intention is to age them. If you are going to smoke some of them as singles in the coming weeks, put those you are smoking soon in the tray. That will keep you from constantly disturbing the boxes that you are aging.

Just a newbie's opinion...but I would keep the singles as they are (move them to the drawer that is) and keep the incoming boxes as in tact as you can (e.g. leave the ones you don't smoke in there).

Since you said you have the space (for now :r), this IMO is your best option.

Bigwaved, it sure sounds like you're jumping in with both feet by going with a cabinet humidor while you have only a few smokes. Sounds as if you're already resigned to sliding down the slope...enjoy the ride!

Bigwaved said:
I am going to be recieving my humidor in the near future. It has a drawer for loose cigars and and the rest of it can store boxes. After getting it stabilized/seasoned, would it be better to put all of the cigars in the drawer as long as I have space or keep the ones that arrive in boxes as they are, only keeping the singles in the drawer? Being new, I will have the option to do either due to my collection being minimal at first. My goal is to make sure these little guys have the best possible home to age the best. Any opinions are appreciated in advance.

I'd recommend you pay a visit to Viper's site look at the Accessories and select the blank bands. They will only stick to themselves and not your precious cigars. While you're there, take a look at the humidification beads. I recommend them for maintaining humidity in any size humidor, as will many Brothers here.

I concur with keeping the singles in the drawer and keeping the boxes intact, not only will this help with any aging that you decide to do but it will also help to keep your RH more stable throughout all the areas of the humi.

Welcome to the slope!

Bigwaved said:
What kind of humi is it, where is it coming from, we need pictures. Have fun on the slide down.

I went with an Aristocrat Mini w/ Digital Set & Forget. It is cherry with a quilted maple door and inlay panel on the top. After reading a lot of positive things about Bob Staebell, I gave him a call. Before I knew it I had placed the order...A little voice in my head kept saying, "Buy bigger than you think you will need" over and over. Luckily, I have friend who really enjoys the hobby. I have learned a lot from him, but now I am sliding down the slope. I should have the humi in 3-4 weeks. When it arrives, I will surely post pictures of it. I am chomping at the bit to get a real collection started.

LasciviousXXX said:
I concur with keeping the singles in the drawer and keeping the boxes intact, not only will this help with any aging that you decide to do but it will also help to keep your RH more stable throughout all the areas of the humi.

Welcome to the slope!

:tpd: I agree. I keep them all into the original boxes until only 6 or less left. Then I put them into the singles drawer.

This makes room for new boxes ! :D

Bigwaved said:
I went with an Aristocrat Mini w/ Digital Set & Forget. It is cherry with a quilted maple door and inlay panel on the top. After reading a lot of positive things about Bob Staebell, I gave him a call. Before I knew it I had placed the order...A little voice in my head kept saying, "Buy bigger than you think you will need" over and over. Luckily, I have friend who really enjoys the hobby. I have learned a lot from him, but now I am sliding down the slope. I should have the humi in 3-4 weeks. When it arrives, I will surely post pictures of it. I am chomping at the bit to get a real collection started.
Great logic there! Wait until you start to outgrow that puppy!:w I too agree wit the concensus. Keep the singles in the draw while keeping the boxes intact. One of the great things about a cabinet.

Now my question is should I rotate/spin the cigars in the boxes or will they evenly soak up the humidity just leaving them alone? I have it in my newbie brain that I should do this so my sticks do not get an uneven amount of humidity on the bottom versus the top.

As long as the bottom and top are within the proper range.... fuhgetuboutit. We obsess over these things far too much. Worst case if one or the other is out of range a fan installation will help even it out. Thats been discussed in many places on the forum as well.

Back