otterbox questions

[OT] Loki

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Do you need to season an otterbox or is just load and go? I'm think you don't need to since it's just foam and plastic

With the 32 count otter I received a bottle of pg solution. I've heard about this but I have no idea what it is. What RH does it keep everything at? I'm thinking I'm going to take the stock humidifer apart and just run my 65% beads. Good idea/bad idea?

thanks

I don't even use a humidifying element in my Otterboxes. Cigars will hold just fine in there for at least a week.

Nope... they have a very good seal and will do fine on their own for a few days. :ss

I agree with James, I don't use the humidifying element either. I drop a humidipak for mine traveldor.

PG maintains a 70% RH, but it can be a little difficult to use, that is why most people use beads.

Usually, you have to add PG the first time, then you fill with just distilled water for the next couple of times before you add the PG solution again. Some people even wash out the sponge after a couple of months in order to remove all the PG and start fresh.

Honestly, you can just take apart the humidifier, remove the sponge and fill it with beads if you want. I just removed the entire thing and threw in a humidipak packet. Other people recommend the sheets as a good alternative as well.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72939

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80661

Do you need to season an otterbox or is just load and go? I'm think you don't need to since it's just foam and plastic

With the 32 count otter I received a bottle of pg solution. I've heard about this but I have no idea what it is. What RH does it keep everything at? I'm thinking I'm going to take the stock humidifer apart and just run my 65% beads. Good idea/bad idea?

thanks

I use solution and it keeps my humi at a steady 70%.

say your going to texas for a week in august.....

What, hell was booked up? (spent a great week on Lk Travis one time, but the temp was >100 every day)

Wouldn't disagree with anyone's answer, but I take a corona sized Al tube. I take out the cedar wrap, punch holes in the tube and then knock the sharpness off the holes, put the cedar back in and fill it with beads. I get a little bead dust, but not much.

I would go with beads or nothing. The seal on otterboxes is absolutely, 100%, uncompromisingly airtight. If you even put like 2 drops of water on that humi element, your cigars will be soaked. If you go with beads, leave a lot of them white, it really is that airtight.

Where in Texas? It's pretty humid most places here in August. I think you'll need to be more concerned about temperature than humidity.

san antonio then huston.

galaga said:
What, hell was booked up?
my fiancee, who is from texas, and I both laughed our asses off at that. I love it.

I think I'm going to do the beads in the stock humifier and wrap it in pantyhose to keep everything in place

San Antonio and Houston? I wouldn't worry about keeping them humidified. They'll be well humidified. I'd worry about temp for sure, don't leave them on the seat of the car when you go in for lunch or to SeaWorld all day.

You'll need a dehumidifier :)

i have the 32 ct. & replaced the sponge w/beads in a bag-didn't wet em down the last time i used it, just took distilled water w/me just in case-ended up not needing to (on a 4 day camping trip)-i put my digi hygro in there too just to be able to tell

Where in Texas? It's pretty humid most places here in August. I think you'll need to be more concerned about temperature than humidity.

Not in central TX it isn't. And if you think TX is humid compared to anything else in august, you are pretty much wrong. Matter of fact, it is so dry that when I go, my acne clears up in less than 12 hours because the oils don't linger on my face.

Back