oxygen and aging

screwbag

Lowland Gorilla
okay I have been doing a lot of research on long term cigar aging. this has told me that aging in an airtight environment is bad because the tobacco also needs air (oxygen) to properly age....

what I'm trying to find out is what is the ideal makeup of the air for aging...

like 10% oxygen or what?

maybe one of you gorillas can help me out?

That's probably a question no one can answer and basically imposable to figure out. There are way to many variables to work with.

When cigars are aged/stored they release gases. If stored in an airtight container these gases will buildup and impact the taste of the cigars. That's why it is recommend that you air-out your humidor every so often.

Last edited:
That's probably a question no one can answer and basically imposable to figure out. There are way to many variables to work with.

When cigars are aged/stored they release gases. If stored in an airtight container these gases will buildup and impact the taste of the cigars. That's why it is recommend that you air-out your humidor every so often.

I find this confusing as well. I believe vendors seal their boxes while in storage--right? But I have received several sealed boxes over the years with date codes or dates that are three or four years old. When I unseal the box the smokes are fine. Has air been escaping through the packaging somehow?

There would be some air transfer with a "sealed" package. All polymers have a transmission rate for each gas (carbon dioxide, oxygen, etc). Some polymers are very open and allow things to breathe and others allow very little transfer. I'm not sure what the ideal atmosphere would be for aging cigars.:confused:

The best example I can offer for this phenomenon is The Griffen's Limited Edition boxes. In the past five years, there have been 4 releases in glass tubes with rubber corks and sealant. All 4 of those years were terrible smokes; they tasted strongly of ammonia and acetic acid. About six months ago, I took several from each year out of the glass tubes for some conditioning. I have smoked one each of the oldest two and I've seen a remarkable difference in the flavor, however the acrid flavors are still there. I expect that will change with a little more time.

In contrast, the 5th year's vintage (actually the 2nd year linearly) was packaged in aluminum tubes with a cedar sleeve. That year was a spectacular smoke, and I'm disappointed I only had 4 of them to smoke in comparison (whereas I have 5+ boxes each at my disposal of the other years).

The point of aging tobacco is that the tobacco and oils blend, while gases (most specifically nitrogen and methane) are given off as part of the continued fermentation process. If you restrict the flow of air too much, you will trap those gases around the tobacco which I suspect will lend an acrid taste, because it alters the process environment.

That's my stab at it, I won't claim to be right. This is just what I've deduced with logical thinking.

Edit: To answer your original question, I don't think that altering the air around the tobacco will drastically change the aging. Normal air (which is, as I recall, about 21% oxygen?) seems to do the job just fine. I suspect the idea is simply to vacate the gasses given off, as I mentioned above.

Last edited:
okay I have been doing a lot of research on long term cigar aging. this has told me that aging in an airtight environment is bad because the tobacco also needs air (oxygen) to properly age....

what I'm trying to find out is what is the ideal makeup of the air for aging...

like 10% oxygen or what?

maybe one of you gorillas can help me out?

I didn't know it was actually like percentage of oxygen just some air transfer. In addition to the aging, from what I have read, you also need it to prevent mold.

My humidors must be fine. Even though there are times they only get opened once a month to refill the humidor it seems to have enough air transfer. Obviously when they get opened several times a week there is no concern.

Every 6 months I do unload my humidors, wipe them with a damp cloth, and leave them open for several hours to dry before reloading them.

Back