Padilla 1932 - an almost sad story.

jesto68

I am McLovin
Since I travel a lot for work, I have decided to make the most of it - and have created a new hobby based on my love for cigars.

Each time I travel, I look for a local B&M. I stop by the store, look around and compare the selection to those near my home. I also always buy a few sticks, and add them to my collection once I get home.

Such was the case earlier this year when I was in Atlanta. I stopped in the B&M closest to my hotel, and noticed they had a fine selection. One of the sticks that caught my eye was a beautiful looking Padilla 1932 Robusto.

I have really caught the "Pepin" bug lately - so I couldn't wait to try this stick. However, since I also like to allow my new purchases to age a little at home, I carefully packed it into my travel humi, and put it away until I got home.

Alas, fate intervened. The airline lost my suitcase on my return flight. I feared that I may never see it or it’s precious contents again. After 2 months of waiting, they located my bag and returned it to me. However, the travel humi did not keep the 1932 moist. It was hard and dry. I feared it was lost. In a desperate attempt to save it, I neatly clipped the end, and placed it in my home humidor, and patiently waited. Much to my surprise, the stick re-hydrated!

A supple and slightly spongy stick greeted me last night after a 3 month rest. I decided that it was time to test it out – and boy was I pleasantly rewarded. The dryness did little to deter my enjoyment!

I toasted the foot and was rewarded with a smooth and creamy smoke that had hints of cashew nuts and pepper. The nutty flavor lasted throughout, but the pepper subsided to a smooth leathery taste at the end. The finish was strong and lingered on my palate for an hour after. It was not unpleasant in any way – It actually made me want to go out and grab more. My only complaint was the low volume of smoke. While I didn’t get the ton I am accustomed to, the amount I did get carried great flavor.

I am so glad I did not chuck the stick in the trash when I found it dry! :tu

In a desperate attempt to save it, I neatly clipped the end, and placed it in my home humidor, and patiently waited. Much to my surprise, the stick re-hydrated!

I've often wondered if it helps to cut a stick before attempting to rehumidify it. Others out there with experience...does it make that much of a difference?

Man, I can't take all this talk about the Padilla line. I have a 5 pack of 1932's resting right now. But they were in the mail for about 10 days, so I had better give them some more time. Boy I can't wait to try these beauties.

Will

your suitcase was missing for TWO MONTHS?! holy cow, that stinks...

Yes - US Airways is the best.........not.

They let me fill out an insurance claim for the contents, but only wanted to pay me a little bit of money. When I said the magic "L" word (lawyer)- my suitcase magically appeared.

Back