Padilla Capa Clara Robusto

dantzig

Pseudo Gorilla
Padilla Capa Clara

Disclaimer--this cigar is a Thompson's exclusive :mad: http://www.thompsoncigar.com/gs/padilla-capa-clara-robusto-cigars-cutters-galore-1.shtml

Construction
Visually, the construction was flawless. Perfect triple cap. Smooth Connecticut wrapper with no defects. Impressive band. This looks like a quality cigar. However, it seems a little light and it soft to the squeeze as if it is underfilled.

Pre-light
Cut went fine. Pre-light scent is quite faint. Not much taste to the pre-light draw.

The Smoking Experience
The first puff was nice. Very mellow with flavors of earth, honey, and leather. However, as soon as the smoke left my mouth, I was hit with the driest finish I have ever experienced. It was if all of the saliva in my mouth instantly disappeared. The aftertaste wasn't exactly pleasant either--dry and acrid. It was a very strange contrast and continued through the entire cigar. I tasted some cedar during the second half of this cigar but otherwise the experience remained rather constant throughout the smoke. While the flavor of this cigar was mild, it produced a ton of smoke and I would classify its body and strength more towards medium. Burn was razor-sharp and perfect.

The Bottom Line
Maybe I got a bad one but I really don't know WTF was going on with this cigar. My theory is that Thompson's sent Padilla a bunch of poor quality filler tobacco and had them roll it up in a quality wrapper. The construction, burn, and initial flavor of this cigar were great but the finish and aftertaste ruined this cigar for me.

I just did a BTT with this one from bobarian!! I actually enjoyed it alot!
Your review pretty much matches mine-except I didn't get the bad after taste. I did get a very dry finish, but still enjoyed it. :tu

I just did a BTT with this one from bobarian!! I actually enjoyed it alot!
Your review pretty much matches mine-except I didn't get the bad after taste. I did get a very dry finish, but still enjoyed it. :tu

Maybe I got a bad one but I didn't get any of the spice that you did and the aftertaste was pretty bad. I have a couple more left so I will give them another try before ruling them out. It was almost worth smoking just for how good it looked and how perfect the burn was . . .

I've been sitting on my share of Shilala's split for awhile now, might just be time to fire one up and see how it compares with the one you smoked. Thanks for the review, I've been wondering how these fared!

I haven't smoked any of mine from the split either.
I kinda guessed what you found out.
Thanks for the review, Jachin!!! :)

Review bump!

I just tried one of these last night. I agree, not much pre-light aroma. But I kinda liked this cigar. It was pretty one-dimensional, grassy sort of flavor that I really didn't mind. Aftertaste wasn't bad at all. I'd call it mild to medium in body, mild flavor. The burn was outstanding, never went out, never needed a touch-up all the way to the nub, and with tons of smoke. I think I'll keep 'em around for a morning cigar, or new smokers. For the price, I'm pretty happy.

Back