Padilla Edición Especial Corojo: Oh My God the flavor!

ambientboy

...from the internet.
Friday night is a long night in the restaurant business. 9hrs on my feet waiting tables, then 2 hours practicing for an upcoming wedding... never have I been in such need for stick at the end of the night.

I foresaw the long evening and put this Padilla Edición Especial Achilles (corojo) in the dry box before I left for work. The temp/humidity in my apartment has been perfect for dry-boxing using only an old Fuente box on a shelf.

The temp is about 52F and it's raining outside, so I snagged this stick (which is compliments of CoryJ) and headed for one of my favorite late night smoke spots.

At 2am, no one is awake in the little canalside village of Spencerport. There's a gazebo on the water and it's mildly lit with a soft yellow glow from the dock lights, reflecting the little raindrop waves. The epitome of cigar smoking heaven in my book.

I was excited to try this smoke as soon as I took a whiff of the sweet, cedar-y pungent wrapper and foot. Wet the cap a little, drew a sweet pre-light draw, lit two matches, toasted the foot and puffed away.

1st quarter:
The initial light spanked me with cedar combined with graham cracker and toasted almonds right off the bat. I was not expecting that much flavor from the first quarter inch of the cigar. Shortly past that, the almonds subsided and gave way to the sweet sense that matched the wrapper's aroma. I couldn't put my finger on the taste specifically until I started thinking about the wedding I was prepping for...the couple is from Charlotte, NC. What I tasted was so much like that of southern style Sweet Tea, that I took a quick stroll around the corner to a 24/7 convenience store.

"Hey, I know this is lit, but I'm alone and am not leaving it outside. I just want to grab a Sweet Tea."

"Yeah...I guess that's cool." said the seemingly 12 yr old working behind the counter.

I tossed him a buck for the Arizona can (thank God for Arizona cans for a dollar!) and walked back to the gazebo. I popped open the tea, took a swig and it was amazing. The flavors matched perfectly. In fact, the combo brought out even more sweetness from the cigar...that almost liquidy plum-juice kind of flavor along with the tea taste. I wanted to eat this cigar. It didn't ash until the 1st quarter was gone...

2nd quarter:
The consistent rich taste and cumulant smoke was precious. Sitting by the water, I swear I almost reached a trancelike state, and then I realized it was like 230am and that could have something to do with it. I found this stick to vacilate between the sweet tea essence and a quasi-bready/graham cracker flavor during this quarter.

3rd quarter:
The brewed taste pulled a little away here so I purged and ashed again. The after effect was like eating a s'more without the chocolate. The hot sweetness jumped out like I toasted a marshmallow and was smoking it. I had never tasted this in a cigar before and that's the best I can describe it. Occasionally a hint of leather or spice wandered in and then out, chilling with the adorable tobacco part of the palate.

4th quarter:
The sweet subsided by about 75% when I ashed here again. The almonds returned with the cedar. I nubbed this sucker to about a finger's width and was sad to let it go.

Overall notes:
This was a very contemplative, complex, yet delicate smoke. It's a smoke made to sit, relax, be quiet, and appreciate. Not one you'd haul through quickly. I smoked it in about 90 minutes.

As noted, I ashed about once a quarter. It held firmly and landed with a thud when it hit the wet sidewalk outside the gazebo, requiring some effort to be parted from the stick itself. The burn was flawless and I had no wrapper issues (though it seems many people do with these). The smoke was rich and plentiful and I almost wished there was no breeze so it would have lingered longer.

I offer my thanks for Cory for this smoke.

After much thought.I think I'm going to have to give this one my Bo Derek rating... because I found nothing at all wrong with this cigar!!

9503_0032.jpg

Stellar writing/review. I guess that's why they call you Ambient boy, you know how to set the mood. I didn't even need a photo of the smoke to get the picture.

Great review! Got one of these resting. I think I'll light it up tonight.....with some sweet tea, of course. :tu

..mmmm...do it. I simply must find more of these out there.

These were a CI exclusive late last year. They clearanced all of them out a couple months ago. At the time, a lot of people were saying that they weren't worth it, but recently, alot of reviews say otherwise. I wish I had jumped on them when I had the chance. Back on track, I've seen them on Cbid from time to time, so keep checking back.

Got one in a sampler pack I got from a friend of mine around X-Mas.
This review makes me want to get a sweet tea and fire it up!!
Soon as I get over this stupid cold:mad:

Nice review....great cigar. I have occasionally run into fragile wrappers, but overall a top quality stick.

You can occasionally catch them at cbid.

Smoking one of these right now. The cap is coming apart a bit, and we'll see if it detracts too much from what is already shaping up to be a fantastic smoke.

Dan,

I had one of those about two months ago. I have been looking for them ever since. It was one of my favorite smokes. This review made me crave one even more. Great review.

It ceems CI does a Corojo sampler that contains four of them. It looks like that's my next purchase (begins saving....now.)

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD44&stext=corojo+sampler

Colossal Corojo Sampler includes:
4 - Camacho Corojo Toro (6"x50)
4 - Cusano Corojo '97 Robusto (5" x 50)
4 - Edge Corojo by Rocky Patel Toro (6" x 52)
4 - Padilla Edicion Especial Achilles (6" x 50)
4 - Punch Rare Corojo Magnum (5.1" x 54)

$49.95

Thanks for the excellent review. I bought a couple of bundles from CI a few months ago when they had a special and I've had them sitting in my humidor. Yesterday, I opened my humidor looking for something special and I selected a Padilla Achilles. The first quarter of the stick was tight in draw but then it opened up and WOW, what a great smoke! :tu Smoked it down to the nubb. I have always enjoyed the Padilla Edicion Especial Maduros and the Corojos are every bit as good!:)

A very fine review, they are indeed excellent cigars, especially when rested for a year :ss I got a coupla mazos of these a year ago when CI had a mammoth sale on them. I smoked one on Saturday and found it to be even better than they were 6 months ago. The construction is still solid and the flavors are that much more than they were. Pepin Garcia doesn't make a bad cigar IMO.

Back