Padilla Hybrid Robusto (The Saga)

tzaddi

jardinero de la selva
At the time of this posting there appear to be no less than 4 reviews of the Padilla Hybrid Robusto on Club Stogie,

Padilla Hybrid
Smokey Bob
Padilla Hybrid
Little Giant
Padilla Hybrid robusto
Teninx
Padilla Hybrid Robusto
VirtualSmitty

Don't ask me why?
Had I done the CS search before I sat with camera, note pad, beer & cigar in hand it might have been another story...so here is mine, #5.

I first became interested in the Padilla brand when I came across CS member, Glacierman's Wikipedia write up on the Padilla brand. The Padilla's family story intrigued me, in particular Ernesto's background as a graphic artist and his subsequent path of return to the "mistress" of his Grandfather, Nicotiana. It wasn't soon after reading Glacierman's article that I was visiting the Padilla website, determining which vitola would be my doorway. Based on my current tastes and what I was reading I choose the Padilla Connecticut and the Padilla Hybrid as possibilities.

With these two smokes in mind I kept an eye out and soon found myself bidding on a box of 20 Padilla Hybrid Robustos. The results are evident,
Congratulations, you're a Cigarbid winning bidder for:
Lot: Padilla Hybrid Robusto (20)
Quantity: 1 at $46.00

As previously noted, it is Ernesto's poetic sense of design that is so inviting to me. The oversized band for the Hybrid was designed by Ernesto. Looking closely one can see the tip of a fountain pen incorporated into the band design, a nod to his father, Heberto Padilla.

PadillaHybridBand.jpg

The 3D Trapezoid box only added to my admiration of this smoke. There is art everywhere!

DSC03612.jpg

Yeah, I don't smoke the packaging but I do find that in most cases it can be a reflection of the attention to detail given the tobacco.

So let us begin this review.

Origin: Dominican Republic
Length: 5
Ring: 50
Strength: Medium
Wrapper Color: Medium Brown
Wrapper Type: Hybrid of Cuban seed with a Connecticut seed = Ecuadorian Sun-Grown
Filler & Binder: Nicaragua, Dominican, Peru
Shape: Parejo

I gathered my usual accouterments, cutter (Xikar Xi2), lighter (inexpensive Colibri Cigar II Torch), beverage and cigar. For my beverage I chose a couple of Sierra Nevada Wheat Beers I had in the fridge. The lightest of the Sierra Nevada beers is this refreshing wheat beer made with barley & wheat for a very light character but loads of flavor. Something that will not compete with the tobacco but merely serve to cleanse and refresh the palette.

I continued by setting the internet radio to my favorite station, adjusted the volume of the outside speakers, set the phones in easy reach, mounted the camera on the left arm of the patio chair with the Gorillapod and settled down into the chair on the north deck.

Time/Date: 4:30 PM PST 4/27/2007

Continuing with the attention to detail this cigar features a triple cap in the cuban tradition. That it is well made is evident to hand and eye. The unique color of the hybrid wrapper gives it a rich inviting appearance.

DSC03478.jpg

So cut and light this baby already...

The cut goes well and the pre-light draw is slightly sweet with light choco hints. The first dry-draw is easy with just enough resistance to know I didn't cut too much of the cap.

DSC03485.jpg

Toasting the foot I garner my first indication of things to come. It is apparent to me after the first few draws that this cigar is begging to be sipped, producing big mouthfuls of white smoke tasting of new leather. With about 4 days in my humidor my next impression is that these cigars would even improve given more time in the box.

The next word on my notes is just the single word "Clean" which is followed by a nice light buttery mouth feel. At this point I start to notice the burn, the ash is a pleasing white and the undulating edge where tobacco meets heat is a bit suspenseful.

I take note of a definite nicotiana presence but not too much, just a little "how do you do".

DSC03498.jpg

Continue in the next post....

Last edited:
Re: Padilla Hydrid Robusto (The Saga)

About 1/3 of the way in I notice the effortless sipping ceasing, asking for a bit more conscious effort on the draw. The ash decides it has hung on long enough and I take this opportunity remove the oversized 1.75" height band, that's huge when you realize the cigar is only 5 inches long. The band comes off easily without damage to the wrapper which is now displaying it's full beauty.

DSC03502.jpg

The flavor starts to build repeating the leather/choco/butter notes. The sipping has ceased and has turned to a tug! The flavor remains true to the blend, pleasant sans dominance.

I notice the cigar exuding a floral fragrance from the incidental smoke escaping the ash. Still producing plenty of white smoke on the draw. As the flavor profile continues to build the floral notes increase in sharpness through the nasal exhale.

DSC03512_2.jpg

Reaching the halfway point the draw starts to loosen a bit producing and increased choco aroma on the tongue accented by the buttery mouth feel.

Nearing the end of the 2/3 mark I start to experience slight white pepper but without the bite to the tongue, this coincides with a mouth feel that I liken to the tannins of a quality dark chocolate or a full red wine.

"Nico" is building as I notice I only have a few sips of beer left. The draw has returned to a gentle sip holding it's original sweetness.

Entering the final 1/3 my tongue starts to tingle but not burn, I am calling this character.

As I draw smoke across my tongue I am treated to the taste of black pepper supported by this ever present sweetness. There goes the last sip of my beer.

My upper lip gets into the action, it begins to tingle as I notice the oily sheen on the wrapper.

The last 1.5 inch is still very firm, not softening as I have noted with previous cigar finales.

The final 1/3 begins to kick while the last inch reluctantly softens giving way to intense rich leather.

It was an even burn to the very end never a need to pick up the lighter. In the throws of the final 3/4 inch it still had something to give. There was no disappointment on this 5 x 50 ride.

DSC03520.jpg

And a few extra photos...

DSC03630.jpg

DSC03633.jpg

All told, about a one and a half hour experience.

Thanks for taking the time....

— Richard

Last edited:

What a gorgeous post!!! Thank you for sharing your awesome review.

I had one of these but smoked it too soon after a humidity problem. Hopefully I can give it another shot.

Whoa, dude! You take reviews seriously! :)

Thanks for taking the time for the details. Photos are good, and I wish I had the time/equipment for it, but I don't. But I'm glad you do.

Cheers!

What an AWESOME review. Makes me glad I picked up 2 more boxes of these. I was debating on what to smoke after work and you just helped me decide. Have some RG! :tu

Yep a great review and puts us "well i liked it" review types to shame. Love Padilla's but the Hydrid never lit a fire under me.

BTW have these not been discontinued?

Yep a great review and puts us "well i liked it" review types to shame. Love Padilla's but the Hydrid never lit a fire under me.

BTW have these not been discontinued?

I believe they have, I think this explains the "close-out" pricing. As for the Connecticut it was discontinued last year, so I don't think I'll get to that one.

There is no lack of diversity pulling us forward.

And thanks to everyone for the words of enouragement. And the place to express myself.

—Richard

Nicely done review - good attention to detail that shows your commitment! :D

Excellent review! Thanks for the time and effort required to create such a great post.

Back