Padron 1926 - Worth the money?

tfar

Evolving Lead Gorilla
I know worth and value are quite subjective, however, if you do have comparison with other top cigars at this price level, are the Padron 1926 worth it?

I saw a Padron 1926 (size was at least Churchill perhaps Double Corona) for around $23 or 25 at a BM here in Austin (Havana House). That is per stick! I mean wow, you can get Davidoff Anniversario No. 1 in Cedar tubes at around that price and even Cohiba Salomos and Esplendidos are in that range (the ISOM version). Cohiba Lanceros are cheaper than that as are RyJ Churchill or even Prince of Wales. All of those are cigars I have tried and enjoyed enormously.

Guess, eventually I will have to burn a quarter C-bill to find out. It better be frickin' outstanding.

What's your opinion? Is this a really outstanding cigar or is the price point its most outstanding feature and becomes a self-fulfilling suggestion for quality perception - an old marketing technique?

Till

Edit: Did this just get moved or does dementia praecox start real early in my case? If I posted it in the wrong section, I apologize.

Last edited:
Yes...just the answer...yes

I had a 1926 No. 6 Natural for the first smoke of the day...I was very happy with my decision..

Most people I've talked to prefer the 64s over the 26s. I have found the 64s to be much more appealing than the 26s as well. If someone's taste's oppose that thought, then he or she might think the cost is worth dropping on said cigar. It's all about taste, which is relative. For the record, I have some Padron Delicia's maduro that are outstanding with age! :ss

Yes. It's a special occasion type smoke for me. I can't bring myself to buy them for my own enjoyment but I would gladly buy them for a deserving BOTL and I cherish the ones that have been presented to me (thanks Doug!).

Edit-Regarding the 26 vs 64, the 26 has a lot more spice and is more complex. The 64 is excellent but the 26 has more life to it in my opinion. The main reason that I would choose the 64 over the 26 is the price difference. The 64 can be had for under $10/stick in decent size vitolas which makes it a stick that I can justify buying for myself.

Well, you guys sure are quick to answer. ;)

So what is it that makes them so special? Can you give me a comparison in strength and taste to any other premium cigar? Or is it totally unique and thus justifies its high price?

A friend who is in the cigar business told me that most cigars cost around 1 or maximum 2 dollars to make per stick even the super premium ones. Probably marketing and packaging goes on top of that but still...

Till

I dont see spending that money on a NC ...i mean $26 stick, like u said, could get and Esplendido.......

Nozero, thanks for the interesting link. Still $19 for a Robusto size would probably be close to what Robustos at the BM were. The cigar I was refering to was indeed a longer model and thus more expensive than a Robusto.

As I said, if you ask these prices you better be every bit as good as the Cuban top smokes or better because the Cuban stuff has aura and cachet that is worth money whereas padron has less of it.

It is a bit like with wine. There are truly fantastic American wines but they ask the price of a Cheval Blanc, Chateau Angelus, Vosne Rosmanee, Petrus or Yquem. Basically, in terms of marketing they are trying to be compared to those wines and thus enter into the consciousness of customers and incite their curiosity by having a comparable price point. To my great dismay I have never had a drop of any of the above nectars but I have had some very good French wine and American wine in the $200 class. Even if I hadn't enjoyed the French wine more but only equal, I would still buy the French over the American because if quality and price are equal the French gives me the bonus of its impeccable reputation and clout. It is an economic decision not a snobbery decision.

For cigars I know a lot of Dominicans that I enjoy every bit as much as the Cubans. So on average I certainly smoke more Dominicans because I like them as mush and they are cheaper and easy to get.

Till

I have to say that the 26's are great smokes, but the 64's are better IMHO, and they are less expensive. It is probably best that you just bite the bullet and give them both sa try and see which you prefer. Just remember it is only money.:ss

I'm honestly not sure that I've ever had one of these. I'm pretty sure I would have remembered, but maybe I'll try to pick one up next time I see them...not often

I haven't had a Padron that I didn't like. But If I had a choice between the 26 and 64, I would jump on the 64. The first 26 I smoked was great, all the others since have been sophmoric at best. That's not to say I won't try the 80th should I get the chance. :2

I say try one and see for your self. Unless your loaded they're not gonna be your everyday smoke any ways. I personally agree with what the others have said about the 64 being better. Matter of fact, I just bought a box of 64 PAM Exlusivo's.

The Padron family makes nice cigars not doubt about it. But IMHO pricing a NC like that is way out of line.

At 23-26 dollars a cigar it would have to be a special occasion cigar for me. I think as others have mentioned you may just have to check one out for yourself, its so hard to say what it's worth to someone else. That being said, I smoked a PAM 64 Torp ~15 dollars last weekend and it was one of the BEST Cigars I can remenber smoking in a LONG TIME, and I smoke a few cigars.

Padron makes cigars from 2 dollars-30 dollars a stick, and regardless of the price, I've enjoyed them all.

Hey cigars are a journey, check one out and see what you think, thats just part of the fun of our hobby. I've blown 20 bucks on stuff sillier than cigars.

Back