Padron 4000 Maduro-- Yum!

• Thread starter Mark Dunn (Guest)
  • Start date
M

Mark Dunn (Guest)

Yesterday the UPS man left a long awaited package at the door. My box of Padron 4000 Maduro’s arrived.
One of the smartest things I have done as a fairly new cigar smoker is follow the reviews here at Top25. In the past-- knowing that I loved a good cigar but with very little information-- I used the random-sample method of selection-- picking cigars by price (more bucks, must be better cigar) and chance, and hoping to accidently land a good one.
On a budget though, I bought my first box of Padron 2000’s based on Top25’s Staff Review and ranking of “Best Value.” I enjoyed them so much I bought a box of 3000’s, my reasoning guided by a desire for a slightly longer lasting smoke. And from there I now have my 4000 Maduros in hand.
I may be one of the last at this site to have had the opportunity to smoke one of these but I had my first last night and as expected enjoyed it immensely.
In February Top25 is scheduled to post it’s official staff review on the Padron 4000’s. I leave the finer points of a review in their very capable hands. But if first impressions count for anything, mine is that for the price the 4000’s fall somewhere between Really, Really, Really Good and Really, Really Good. I’ll leave the official grading to someone else. I was very pleased.
The 4000 fell right in line with it’s smaller siblings. It is a large beautiful cigar, well made, very flavorful, smooth, easy to draw and provided an even burn all the way to the end (several of my 3000’s burned unevenly). It took me one hour to the minute to smoke and it was the best hour of my day.

Welcome to the club!
I recently got a box of 3000's. Good smokes right out of
the box. My bet is letting them rest a while they will be
great.

I have learned the names of several good and affordable
smokes from this site. Last months Cuesta Rey No.7 maduro
is a great little smoke. I have more variety in my humi
now that I think I have ever had. It makes it more difficult
deciding which one to smoke.

To all the Lowland Gorillas - I think he has started down
that slippery slope. (Dr. T)

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-00 AT 00:38 AM (CST)[/font][p]Hey Mark!

Welcome to the Club! I followed exactly the same path as you, my friend. I started enjoying cigars a few years back, but had no idea of how to select my smokes. The cigar store I frquented (before the dreaded Calif. tobacco tax started) was very helpful. They continually told me that the best cigar was all a matter of personal taste. So I experimented, but I didn't really have a direction.

Then I hit the Web and listed cigars. I checked out every site! I stumbled onto Top 25 Cigars and was intrigued with the idea of ratings from the every day stogie lovers like yourself. I followed the the T25C for over a year comparing their ratings to Cigar Aficionado. Guess what? BIG difference! I started to use the T25C as a guide and started checking out the smokes.... starting with the least expensive of course.

There were no staff reviews at that time, and the forum was... (... We're all friends here right?) less than user friendly. But I tried a lot of the smokes listed and liked quite a few of them. The more "into" cigars I got, the more I agreed with the T25C's ratings by "popular vote" (no dimpled chads here!). Regular guys (and gals) that enjoy cigars and rate them. I trust that more than one cigar reviewed by one person, even if they are an editor of a well known cigar magazine.

By this time, T25C had a usable forum. So after a year of observing and benefiting from Top 25, I decided to participate a little. I became one of the lowland gorillas that shares a little cigar talk. We wanted the forum to be as friendly and informal as the old neighborhood cigar store. A place where we can tell a few lies and share our smokes together.

Then there's the subject of the "slippery slope" that the rocket man alluded to. But that's another story....

... because we like new guys that like to talk about their smokes... rjs

The 4000 was one of the cigars that I reviewed as a guest staff reviewer. There were ONLY two of them in the review, but I'd had a few more before that. I complement you on your choice of purchase. The 4000 is a damn fine cigar, no questions asked. —J.J.

Mark,
I bought a box of the 4000 naturals since the maduros weren't available at the time. The natural is a good smoke, but I'm envious that you got the maduros! I look forward to trying one in the future.

... keep trying those new smokes! rjs

rjs,

Actually I came very close to getting the Naturals myself because I was tired of waiting but held out for the Maduro's. But the first box of cigars that I bought was the 2000 Naturals and loved them. I may even go the Naturals in the 4000s the next go round.

I look forward to the Top25 review on them.

Thanks to everyone for replying. It's good to be here.

Happy Holidays one and all,

Mark

I can't agree with the 4000's rating. It's just an average cigar which named Padron. From my experience, 2000 is the best while 3000 is the runner-up among those 3 thousand-series.

While grading a cigar, forget any comment and trust yourself.

I personally think the 3000 maduro is the best of the padrons. A great size with perfect construction and flavor. It never disappoints.

big_bish

Back