Padron 40th Anniversary

avid toker

Maturing Primate
This weekend found me smoking many a NC due to the fact that I had so many yet to try. The 40th Anniversary being one of them gifted to me by a generous brother of the leaf. I've always been enamored by Padron back in the day and prided myself for being loyal to a brand that often shied away from the marketing/gimmicky type cigars. Well I wonder if you consider this one of those?!?

Took up position in the garage to escape the summer heat on the deck. I grabbed a cup of coffee and carefully inspected the cigar. What else can be said about Padron's quality in rolling a cigar. A silky sheen maduro wrapper, attractive looking bands, hard to the touch and a pre-light aroma that would please the finickiest of cigar smokers. Passing the cigar under my nose, I detected a slight cocoa and cinnamon aroma. I hoped this would be a treat.

Clipped the cigar with no fuss and tested the draw....perfect. Absolutely perfect draw. Not too hard and not too soft. I wish all CC's would draw like this. Padron truly has some magical (skillful) rollers on his staff. Lit the cigar and away we went. The first third was rather lackluster and uneventful. Dry, woody with hints of chocolate and spice. The second third picked up on the chocolate more while amplifying the spiciness around a dry earthy core.

At this precise moment I stopped to admire the razor sharp burn and the 3" ash that had yet to relinquish it's tight grip into the ashtray. The cigar coated my mouth with copious amounts of creamy smoke and the aroma in the garage could be described as that of cinnamon, vanilla and sweet spice. Simply delicious. Still, the cigar was refined, balanced and smooth yet I was yearning for something a little bit more. I hoped the last third had just what I wanted in store.

The last third segued into a slightly more robust/full bodied type of smoke. The spice and scorched earth took center stage. You could take nice long draws with this cigar since the cigar never turned hot and the flavors lasted all the way till the nub. The flavors in the last 3rd was not what I was hoping for but I found it strangely satisfying nonetheless. I kept thinking this cigar could use a tad more ligero. A very long luxurious finish had me smacking my lips for hours afterwards. I guess 5 year old Nicaraguan tobacco loses some oomph over time or maybe I'm just used to smoking CC's. In any case, a great cigar form a great company and it's no wonder why this cigar was voted the best cigar of the year.

This weekend found me smoking many a NC due to the fact that I had so many yet to try. The 40th Anniversary being one of them gifted to me by a generous brother of the leaf. I've always been enamored by Padron back in the day and prided myself for being loyal to a brand that often shied away from the marketing/gimmicky type cigars. Well I wonder if you consider this one of those?!?

Took up position in the garage to escape the summer heat on the deck. I grabbed a cup of coffee and carefully inspected the cigar. What else can be said about Padron's quality in rolling a cigar. A silky sheen maduro wrapper, attractive looking bands, hard to the touch and a pre-light aroma that would please the finickiest of cigar smokers. Passing the cigar under my nose, I detected a slight cocoa and cinnamon aroma. I hoped this would be a treat.

Clipped the cigar with no fuss and tested the draw....perfect. Absolutely perfect draw. Not too hard and not too soft. I wish all CC's would draw like this. Padron truly has some magical (skillful) rollers on his staff. Lit the cigar and away we went. The first third was rather lackluster and uneventful. Dry, woody with hints of chocolate and spice. The second third picked up on the chocolate more while amplifying the spiciness around a dry earthy core.

At this precise moment I stopped to admire the razor sharp burn and the 3" ash that had yet to relinquish it's tight grip into the ashtray. The cigar coated my mouth with copious amounts of creamy smoke and the aroma in the garage could be described as that of cinnamon, vanilla and sweet spice. Simply delicious. Still, the cigar was refined, balanced and smooth yet I was yearning for something a little bit more. I hoped the last third had just what I wanted in store.

The last third segued into a slightly more robust/full bodied type of smoke. The spice and scorched earth took center stage. You could take nice long draws with this cigar since the cigar never turned hot and the flavors lasted all the way till the nub. The flavors in the last 3rd was not what I was hoping for but I found it strangely satisfying nonetheless. I kept thinking this cigar could use a tad more ligero. A very long luxurious finish had me smacking my lips for hours afterwards. I guess 5 year old Nicaraguan tobacco loses some oomph over time or maybe I'm just used to smoking CC's. In any case, a great cigar form a great company and it's no wonder why this cigar was voted the best cigar of the year.

Thanks for a great review. I am personally happy with the 26th #35 Maduro. :tu

I love the Padrons...............I found that Jose Padron ages his sticks (26&64) for me..............aging not needed for these..IMO

GREAT REVIEW
I love the 1964 Anni Maduro's.
I've yet to try the 26's but will very soon (thanks to Fred)

This weekend I smoked a 64 Anni Maduro Friday night and smoked a Padron Londres (first one) Saturday night. Both very good cigars but I have to say I lean towards the PAMs more......But $17 for the PAM and $2.30 for the Londres........Big price difference.

B:ss
Padronfan

Just a little bit of PAM/PAN trivia: Behind the cedar strips that line the inside edge of the box is a small paper tag that gives the date the cigars were boxed and someone's signature. I usually find it behind the back strip.

Good review
I just reviewed this cigar myself and gave it a perfect 10.

The 26th & 40th are perfect 10's in my book. I just wish they were a bit cheaper.
The 64th ann. is a 9.5 for me.

I think if you are into stronger bold straight forward cigars no other cigars touches the ann's.

Just a little bit of PAM/PAN trivia: Behind the cedar strips that line the inside edge of the box is a small paper tag that gives the date the cigars were boxed and someone's signature. I usually find it behind the back strip.
Is it Jose Padron Sr.?

Thanks for the review! I've never tried one, but when I do, I hope to enjoy it as much as you did. I hear nothing but great things about the Padrons.

:tu

Back