Painted maduro?

Silhanek

Gorilla
Ok, so I'm at the local B&M and they have these very dark, almost black cigars in the clearance bin for $2. I like maduros, so I grabbed one of these to try. Got home and researched it and what I had was a Petrus - Oro Negro Rothschild (M) 4 3/4 x 50.

I lit it up tonight and didn't think it was anything special. I had noticed after taking the cello off that a few nicked spots were lighter and that kind of looked wrong. After lighting it up, I noticed that I had touched the head where it was wet a little and I looked at my fingers and black color was on them.

Did they stain the tobacco on these? What would they coat these with? I had to put it down about half way through because I started picturing them dipping these in used motor oil after rolling. :D

Ah! You have encountered one of the less ethical practices of some cigar makers! The wrappers have been dyed. :gn

As I understand it, this is done at the time the stick is rolled, i. e., the leaf is dyed, then applied. This why Petrus sucks, big time. :hn

Black lips are a sure sign of dyed maduro.

The path to enlightenment has many potholes. You must show stamina and grit to progress to the end. You have gained in understanding, Grasshopper.

Hey Glacierman (or anyone else) - do you know of any other makers that are known for dyeing sticks? I haven't heard of this before, but have had some maduros that leave a slight bit of color on my lips...which I usually only notice if I happen to be wiping away the slobber with a napkin or my sleeve or something...

Fidalgo Negro
1_fidalgo_negro.jpg

Hey Glacierman (or anyone else) - do you know of any other makers that are known for dyeing sticks? I haven't heard of this before, but have had some maduros that leave a slight bit of color on my lips...which I usually only notice if I happen to be wiping away the slobber with a napkin or my sleeve or something...

Be further enlightened, Grasshopper: JR Maduro Wrappers 101 (second paragraph from the bottom).

Rocky Patel has been accussed of this, but I have yet to be blackened by one of his cigars.

The Edge Toro blackens my fingers and my lips if I smoke one. I thought it was due to the high oil content, but perhaps it is due to dye...

The La Perla Habana Maduro used to turn my fingers black on occasion. If your hands were the least bit damp or sweaty, your fingers would look like you'd been handling a newspaper.

I thought just tobacco itself can stain your hands even if it hasen't been dyed. I've seen pictures of cigar rollers and their entire hand is a redish brown, along with the workers next to them stacking leaves.

This was done during the boom a lot.... I believe they used a food coloring/water solution. The best way to tell is if all the cigars look exactly the same....usually almost black and very little color verience between cigars. Another method to get artificcial maduro wrapers is to cook em.... the bastages

Was there ever any definitive insight as to whether the Partagas Black line was dyed or not? This was a point of discussion back in September...

Was there ever any definitive insight as to whether the Partagas Black line was dyed or not? This was a point of discussion back in September...

I also was back reading that post and was wondering the same thing. From my readings I did not find a definite answer.

Any one have an answer to this?

I had read at some point and do not recall the citation that the Partagas Black was treated much the same as Onyx Reserve wrappers where oscuro wrappers were selected and then heated to even out the black color to make them more appealing. Paul

Back