Palio cigar cutter for big (nay...huge) fingers

Funkalicious

Utterly ri-donk-ulous
I'm a newbie looking to buy my first cutter. I hear a lot of good things about Palios around the board, but just wanted to ask one question. I have huge hands/fingers (this gorilla might be a new gorilla, but he's 6"8 and three bucks) and I am wondering about the size of those finger holes.

Are the finger holes decent size or should I go with something more like a Xicar that doesn't seem to take that design approach?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I just got my first Palio a couple of days ago.

Here's a pic with a quarter near the finger hole so you can get an idea.

Hope this helps.:tu

If I couldn't use my Palio the next best thing I think is the Xikar. No finger holes and they come in about every possible color/style to fit anyone's personality.

Here's a pic of the Xikar for ya:

I'm a newbie looking to buy my first cutter. I hear a lot of good things about Palios around the board, but just wanted to ask one question. I have huge hands/fingers (this gorilla might be a new gorilla, but he's 6"8 and three bucks) and I am wondering about the size of those finger holes.

Are the finger holes decent size or should I go with something more like a Xicar that doesn't seem to take that design approach?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I am a diehard Palio user. But given your size, the Palio may not be suitable for you. I suggest finding someone with a Palio and trying it out. If the finger holes are too small, the Xikar would be the cutter for you.
:2

I guess you could always order it and if it doesn't work out for you simply return it for a Xikar. Gotta say, the Palio is sweeeet! Cuts so clean flat and smooth! Hard to imagine getting excited over a cutter but after using cheapo cutters for a while I guess it's understandable :)

Rev.

The palio is in my opinion the best cutter,just be sure when you execute the cut you dont release it back too hard or it will pull apart and slide out/off the track.this has happen to me with the carbon fiber one twice now.but i just bring it back to my local shop and they give me a new one.:2

The palio is in my opinion the best cutter,just be sure when you execute the cut you dont release it back too hard or it will pull apart and slide out/off the track.this has happen to me with the carbon fiber one twice now.but i just bring it back to my local shop and they give me a new one.:2

It is designed to come off the track. It is so that you can clean the cutter better. You just slide it back on the track.

I am a diehard Palio user. But given your size, the Palio may not be suitable for you. I suggest finding someone with a Palio and trying it out. If the finger holes are too small, the Xikar would be the cutter for you.
:2

I'm 6'2" / 300+ and :tpd:

I love my Palio followed closely by my Xikar.

Now, some people say that the Xikar is awkward to use but, I think that its mostly people with small hands that say it. lol

Great replies, everyone. Having heard so many good things about the Palio, I'm tempted to go ahead and order one.

After all, if it doesn't work out...it could find its way into my first piece of ordnance (to be sent out shortly, don't you know... :D ).

It is funny, I was talking to Mark (the owner of Palio) at the last SoCal herf and it turns out I have been using it incorrectly ever since I bought it.

My fingers are small enough that I can get my first and middle finger into the cutter at the same time, so I do not rest a finger on the ledge like you are supposed to.

Since it works for me, I am not about to change, but I would be surprised if your fingers are too big to use a palio.

After all, if it doesn't work out...it could find its way into my first piece of ordnance (to be sent out shortly, don't you know... :D ).

Good plan, I really doubt you will get stuck with a Palio.

It is funny, I was talking to Mark (the owner of Palio) at the last SoCal herf and it turns out I have been using it incorrectly ever since I bought it.

My fingers are small enough that I can get my first and middle finger into the cutter at the same time, so I do not rest a finger on the ledge like you are supposed to.

Since it works for me, I am not about to change, but I would be surprised if your fingers are too big to use a palio.

I never noticed this either. I'm glad you said something about that, I'll try to remember this for next time - I always put my middle finger on the top of the "arch".:tu

I never noticed this either. I'm glad you said something about that, I'll try to remember this for next time - I always put my middle finger on the top of the "arch".:tu

I think it needs to come with some user instructions (unless of course it already does). :D :r

I think most people who get a palio and do not like it after using it 5-10 times are probably not using it correctly. I know it took me a couple of months to start using my palio regularly and to get a nice clean cut with it. Before that I just used the single blade havana cutters (which I still love and use on vacation).

OK I'll take one for the team and be the only idiot to ask the question - how exactly is one supposed to use a Palio? I have a Zino Davidoff cutter that I use by putting my thumb in one side and middle finger in the other. :confused:

Is it like shampoo in that it needs instructions? :ss

OK I'll take one for the team and be the only idiot to ask the question - how exactly is one supposed to use a Palio?

Sounds to me (based on the last few posts) that it isn't that stupid of a question at all...

But then again, I'm an idiot so listening to me is "bad idea jeans..." :D

Back