Partagas 160 - Quick Review/Comment

mtb996

Gorilla
Can't really call this a review, but more like feedback/impressions of the Partagas 160. I mentioned in the P150 thread that a local hangout (Angus Barn) has these and I have been meaning to try one. After dinner I ventured to the bar and proceeded to enjoy a cuban Monte #2 (gifted from a business associate) and a few scotches. After I finished the Monte it was early enough to hit the humidor and I selected the P160 Robusto.

What was immediately noticable was the sweetness and lightness of the P160 compared to the Monte. The P160 burned consistently and evenly, but very hot (I tend to smoke quick). So much, that I had to smoke slower and draw less than I typically enjoy. Overall, it did not have any negative taste qualities, but it also didn't appear to have any truly positive taste profiles either (outside an overall sweetness). It was OK, but not great, almost bland.

Again, I have to caveat this with the fact I just finished a Monte 2 and few scotches, so I am convinced my taste buds had taken a beating prior to lighting this up. Additionally, I am really leaning toward the full strength side of the cigar spectrum. Overall, I was not impressed, and would not pay $20+ per stick. I would, however, have another on fresh tastebuds on someone elses corporate expense account. When I do, I'll try a better review.

My buddy picked a few up from c-bid, and we enjoyed them the other day. Quite tasty, in my opinion. He got the Robusto Minors, 4.5 x 48. $17 a piece, quite the hefty price. It's not something I'd say I'd buy much more of for that price, but something to try nontheless.

It will sound strange, but for most of the smoke, the image of Fruity Pebbles came to mind when smoking. It wasn't necessarily a fruity smoke, but it had that sweetness that he mentioned above. I found it exceptional, especially considering I'm usually a maduro and dark-wrappered kind of smoker.

Back