Partagas Black: A Muddled Enjoyment

ambientboy

...from the internet.
I've been sick for the past couple days...this usually means I can't sleep. So, seeing that sleep just wasn't going to happen, I decided to go after a bit of fresh air, joined by a Snapple and a Partagas Black robusto I was happy to receive from Gromit at the WNY Herf on Sunday.

A nice dark wrapper, oily, with a strong aroma. The pre-light draw was easy, with a sweet and strangely salty essence. I had clipped it with the faithful Palio and then lit up with a couple wood matches. It lit nicely and evenly. Right off the bat I was smacked with a spicey/peppery flavor that was almost harsh but it subsided after about a quarter inch burn. It gave me a decent amount of smoke, but a little less than I expected. the post-light draw was excellent.

Once the spice calmed itself down, the cigar smoothed out with a bitter-sweet taste that seemed one dimensional despite its mixture of spices tossed in the mix. There were few distinct flavors that lept out until the second third of the stick.

Here's where the flavor was hiding...in the nooks and crannies of the middle third. A little spice, a little chocolate, a little black licorice, hints of earth and cedar and that weird saltiness, all clouded lightly by the fog of toasted tobacco. The smoke picked up considerably here and the ash from the first third was still hanging on.

The final third began by tapering the flavors down to a little sweetness with peppery tones overshadowing. Though it was hot, it had some desire to go out so I had to burn it a little hotter than I normally would. The ash dropped right about here. Smoke was in good form and bountiful.

At this point in time, the one-dimensionality of the flavor took over completely and it seemed kind of blah. Still on the fuller side of medium-bodied, but just kind of there. I calmed the burn down to see if it was too hot and what else I could taste after a few purgings but to no avail. I nubbed it to see where else it could take me, but really the middle third of the the cigar was the most satisfying. Perhaps a different vitola would bring out a longer flavor action.

As a whole, I shoot this one a rating of about 6.9. Above average, but not by far. New flavors I enjoyed, but not for long enough a time. A good even burn and great construction with great ash and smoke.

Post Script: The smoke from this stick was heavy in aroma and even flavor when inhaled lightly (particularly through the nose), almost as if the cigar wanted to breathe. The smoke itself was my favorite part.

I tend to get a charcoal, slight spice, dark espresso bean thing going on with these smokes. The smoke is not terribly sweet, but very tasty and earthy. Also, the lower you store these at RH wise, for me around 62% or so, the better. These also really benefit from dry boxing as well, even with the low RH. For some reason, I can pick up some sourness with them if they are too wet. These cigars always deliver full bodied rich flavor without overpowering at a great price. Given another a try.

Which vitola did you try?

Nice review, I find these to be mild I guess the Camacho triple maduro has me spoiled.

I tried a robusto which had in fact been dry-boxed (sitting at 55%) because I don't like to smoke anything wet. My humi is presently between 62%-66%. One of the B&Ms right by me sells these. I doubt it's the last I'll smoke.

one of my favorite smokes-they just came out w/a corona size i'm looking forward to trying-i wonder if coming off being sick had anything to do w/the experience you had?

one of my favorite smokes-they just came out w/a corona size i'm looking forward to trying-i wonder if coming off being sick had anything to do w/the experience you had?

More than possible, though yesterday was the first day I thought I had all my taste/smell back. :ss Fear not dear Partagas, I shall try the again.

Back