Partagas Limited Reserve Decadas IV

jjirons69

Son of Evil Emperor Zurg
Size: 7.5 x 49
Construction: Nearly perfect. Select Dominican/Mexican fillers (1 out of 100 leaves selected for use), rare Cameroon wrapper (1 out of a 1000 leaves selected for use). Not overly hard to squeeze, but firm and dense. Comes in glass tube.
Smell: Unremarkable. Sweet tobacco aroma.
Draw: Perfect
Drink: Pink Lemonade (light)

BD Strummer (Bryan) and I attended the Sit Down Herf in Columbia a couple of months ago and Bryan won a 5'er of these in a drawing. As a true BOTL often does, he passed on some of the fortune. This evening we decided it was time to toast them.

This cigar is a definite "sit-down and talk" smoke. We were willing to invest any amount of time needed.

The first 1/3 had a nice medium body. It was smooth and drew very well. Had earthly and woody overtones and we both commented how each draw had a little different flavor than the last and there were flavors that were had to pin down. No spice, no pepper, little complexity. Smoke volumes picked up with every draw. The finish was weak. It smoked very well.

The second 1/3 started to pick up in complexity and flavor. We both thought it resembled a Torano Noventa at this point. It left the earthy tones and drove straight into leather. The leather flavors were dominate, but it again seemed to gradually change going through the middle. The complexity was still there with background flavors that were hard to pick out. The smoke volumes were also strong and the finish started getting longer. Still no spice, no pepper, just a smooth, creamy smoke.

The last 1/3 was the real surprise. The Noventa tastes left. The spice/pepper picked up and left the lips tingling. There were still volumes of creamy smoke and it was still smoking well. It never got hot or harsh, no bitter flavors. The leather and subtle background flavors were still there. After nearly 2 hours it still had a good flavor and was easy to nub. It evolved more through the evening than any smoke I can remember lately. It had 3 or 4 definite "seasons".

We sat, talking, comparing the LRD IV to different smokes we've had and it was funny how many different ones we came up with. If you haven't had one, it's worth a shot. It's good to have a smoking companion and some pink lemonade to enjoy it thoroughly! :tu

Final rating - Would I pay $18-$20 for another? Maybe for a special occassion. Would I buy one for $7-$9, for sure. It had a flawless roll and a perfect presentation. It rated a solid 9/10 for me. Don't know how Strummer feels, but I think he enjoyed it nearly as much.

Pictured below are several shots during our outing and the handsome lad, BD Strummer (the Ohio State t-shirt came from the homeless shelter, so don't laugh at him :r)

lr1.jpg

lr2.jpg

lr3.jpg

lr4.jpg

lr5.jpg

lr6.jpg

i have a couple of these stashed away but havent been able to get myself to smoke em. I believe a few 95's and 96's. Thanks for the review. Makes me wanna break one out!

Back