Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic

macjoe53

Alpha Silverback
I stopped by my local B&M (Habanos in Slidell, LA) last Saturday to see what they had that was new. I picked up a couple of Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserves and they are resting comfortably in my humi at this time.

I was talking to one of the owners and asked if they had considered carrying anything from Don Pepin. Surprisingly, she said that a sales rep had been by recently and he left some samples. In return for letting her know what I thought of the cigars, she gave me the following: Pepin Gracia Cuban Classic, Pepin Vegas Cubana, La Flor Dominca box pressed, Alec Bradley Maxx The Fix and a Alec Bradley Maxx Traditional.

Today I had the opportunity to smoke one, so I pulled out the Cuban Classic and gave it a try.

Disappointment #1 was when I pulled the labels off and they both ripped the wrapper. I noticed that the wrapper was fairly thin and delicate.

Disappointment #2 came about 15 minutes into the smoke when it just went out. I had to relight and I’m not a fan of cigars I have to relight. It didn’t detract from the flavor so I kept on smoking.

Disappointment #3. Ok, I sort of expected this to happen, but as soon as I reached the first spot where the wrapper had stuck to the label the cigar started to burn uneven. I touched it up a bit and continued smoking it though.

Other than those three points the cigar was actually good. With the exception of the wrapper being fragile, I would say that the problems I found were because I didn’t let the cigar rest in my humidor for at least a month.

Overall I would rate this cigar as a 7 on a scale of 10. It had a very easy draw and the flavor was an explosion of spiciness with an underlying hint of sweetness. It gave off a really great amount of smoke with a nice aroma. With the draw being as easy as it was, I expected it to burn hot but it didn’t. It started out to be a good smoke, something that I expected from a Pepin. The Cuban Classic I had was a very straightforward experience with the spice and an earthy/woodsy flavor being consistent throughout.

So, how do I really feel about the Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic? I may not buy a full box at one time, but I can see myself buying five or six at a time and dropping them into my humidor for a few months to let them age and mellow. They are a good change of pace smoke and will be there when I want something with a bit more spiciness and earthiness to it.

I’ll review the others as I smoke them.

Thanks for the review. I've only smoke about 5 of these but I can honestly say they are my least favorite of the Pepin smokes. I'm not saying they're bad just saying that they can't stack up to the rest of his smokes.

Sorry to hear about your experience. The Cuban classic is his strongest cigar but I cant get enough of these.

I like the Black label, too. But I also like the Blues, the Whites, and both the Brown and Red Tatuaje cigars. Oh, and the Padilla cigars, too.

Sorry to hear about your experience. The Cuban classic is his strongest cigar but I cant get enough of these.

Could you define "strongest?" As in strongest selling or in terms of smoking characteristics?

Nothing to be sorry about though as I thought it was a good cigar. I just think I should have let the one I had rest for awhile.

Thanks for the review. The cuban classic is pretty good (and strong) for one of Pepin's budget line smokes. The boxes (20) are a good deal, and I almost always keep them around. I do find that other people aren't impressed with this cigar though, so I don't try and win any Pepin vs. the World arguments with this one. Sorry about your wrapper issues.

Could you define "strongest?" As in strongest selling or in terms of smoking characteristics?

Nothing to be sorry about though as I thought it was a good cigar. I just think I should have let the one I had rest for awhile.
I'm sorry, Its his strongest blend. I too would like to let one sit for awhile but it never happens:ss Maybe if I win a box on cbid I'll let a few sit for some years.

I smoked one last night and really liked it. It started spicy and then settled down and smoked well all the way to the nub. It did give me a major nicotine buzz if that what you mean by strong, but I really enjoyed the taste. I only remove the label once I'm well into the cigar and it came off without any problems. I have been on a Pepin kick lately and smoked the blue label and the Tat Havana IV this past weekend. Even my wife likes the Pepins and when she tasted Cuban Classic last night, she told me to buy more.

This has not been my experience with the Pepin Cuban classic at all. I have had several different vitolas of this type and found them to be excellent, and without any problem with construction at all.

I love the DPG Black Labels. Although I personally find the Blue Labels to be stronger than the Blacks.

These are my daily smokes. They do prefer lower humidity levels, and I find most B&M's over humidify everthing (at least down here).

I've never run into the band peeling off the wrapper before, but I agree the wrappers are very delicate and prone to splitting.

Pepin Garcia blends are pretty much all I smoke now :D:chk

Nice review.

Obviously there are wrapper issues with this cigar. If you keep you humidor between 60-65, you will not have the cracking issues. I have hundreds and have smoked hundreds of Blacks, and I rarely have cracking issues.

IMO the DPG Blue Label is the strongest blend. If you don't agree with me, I wll back it up. Straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.elreydeloshabanos.com/cigars.asp?CatID=1

http://www.elreydeloshabanos.com/cigars.asp?CatID=10

Regardless of the strength, the Black is Pepin's highest rated cigar and it is one of the best sticks on the market.

Nice review.

Obviously there are wrapper issues with this cigar. If you keep you humidor between 60-65, you will not have the cracking issues. I have hundreds and have smoked hundreds of Blacks, and I rarely have cracking issues.

IMO the DPG Blue Label is the strongest blend. If you don't agree with me, I wll back it up. Straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.elreydeloshabanos.com/cigars.asp?CatID=1

http://www.elreydeloshabanos.com/cigars.asp?CatID=10

Regardless of the strength, the Black is Pepin's highest rated cigar and it is one of the best sticks on the market.

Like I said, I didn't let this one rest in my humidor which I keep at 65% and I felt that was why I had the problems I did. I'm looking forward to trying another one after I can buy it and let it rest for two or three months.

:tpd:

unfortunately not for sale in Europe, but SmokeyNL managed to get a box and was kind enough to give a few of those sticks to me, I love the Cuban Classic.

I found the robusto Black to be good but I found the petite corona size to be a very good smoke, much better than the robusto.

Interesting review thanks for it, I have one of these in my humi and am waiting to try it out... I might wait longer after reading this review make my palate a bit more used to the stonger cigars.

Back