Pepin HATER to Pepin Whore?

kgoings

Evolving Lead Gorilla
About 4 months ago I tried a Tat Red, Tat Brown, DPG Blue, and I absolutely HATED them! Thought they tasted like total crap, like dumping pepper down my throat.

In the past few weeks, I have had some DPG JJ Maduros, DPG JJ's, DPG Cuban Classics, and a DPG Blue today..WOW! I loved them all! I didnt think they were super spicey at all! I thought they were great flavored, complex and just right!

Maybe my pallet is developing? But them are some GOOD sticks! I am relatively new to cigars, I used to smoke a cigar once a month in the mid-90's but now I am smoking several a week. DPG is my new found friend!

I would suggest to anyone who has tried a DPG blend and didnt like it, if you were somewhat new to cigars then...give him another chance!

About 4 months ago I tried a Tat Red, Tat Brown, DPG Blue, and I absolutely HATED them! Thought they tasted like total crap, like dumping pepper down my throat.

In the past few weeks, I have had some DPG JJ Maduros, DPG JJ's, DPG Cuban Classics, and a DPG Blue today..WOW! I loved them all! I didnt think they were super spicey at all! I thought they were great flavored, complex and just right!

Maybe my pallet is developing? But them are some GOOD sticks! I am relatively new to cigars, I used to smoke a cigar once a month in the mid-90's but now I am smoking several a week. DPG is my new found friend!

I would suggest to anyone who has tried a DPG blend and didnt like it, if you were somewhat new to cigars then...give him another chance!

:tpd: Don't forget to try DPs latest: Cubao! Very good cigar!

That's a great reminder to not write off a brand completely for ever. Sometimes it's worth revisiting a few sticks we didn't like the first time around.

Anyone willing to revisit a Cremosa? :r

A big key to enjoying Pepins is to keep you humidity on the low side. I personally like 65%-66%. Does the trick for me.

If you want to try something from Pepin that is a bit different and not the usual pepper bomb, I would suggest:

Cabaiguan (I especially like the Belicoso Fino)
Vegas Cubanas (I like the corona and Invictos best)

Both are :tu:tu:tu

The funny thing is that I am 180 degrees from ya.... I would say the ones you liked were the most pepper flavored to me... and the ones you didn't had the least pepper... its just another example of different palates...

But at least you found your way into pepin mania... welcome it is a cozy place to be!! :D:r

Or at least 4-6 months. That's about the time I let them sit in my humidor's environment before I smoke one.

A big key to enjoying Pepins is to keep you humidity on the low side.

Couldn't agree more! Pepin himself advises to store his cigars in the low 60's for maximum smoking pleasure. I keep mine around 60-63%.

Newbie here (since April/May) who started off feeling like many cigars and all Pepins were too spicy, and now Pepin Blue labels are one of my favorites. My pallet has evolved.

When I started smoking some of Pepin's blends, I thought to myself "Damn this is spicy". I almost couldn't tell if I liked it, or just the challenge of getting through it. Now, If a cigar doesn't have that spice I'm looking for, I consider it a boring cigar. In other words, Pepin raised my expectations.

I find that if you smoke a pepin right off the truck then they arent very good at all....If you let them rest in your humi about a month they get very good

I find that if you smoke a pepin right off the truck then they arent very good at all....If you let them rest in your humi about a month they get very good

:tpd:

That helps a lot... but in all reality, I am starting to become a little aging whore...:r I don't like to smoke much of anything that isn't at least 6 months old... This makes it easy to tell the gf why I need so many cigars lol... "because they need to rest for awhile sweetie" :r:D:bn

I have 6 boxes of Pepin's that will have birthdays in Nov. and Dec. Unfortunately, none of them are Blue's. They just fly out of my humidors:hn

I have experienced a similar revolution in my pallet. I could not stand peppery cigars, but somehow ended up with a bunch in a row (5 Vegas Miami, DPG Cuban Classic, and a couple of Camacho) and forced myself through the first couple then found myself loving and wanting that peppery bite to every cigar. I can't say I find the smooth and creamy cigars boring as I still enjoy a smooth smoke especially in the am, but there is a level of excitement when I fire up a DPG or other cigar I know will be a spicy treat.

Back