Pepin Holiday Samplers - Check your boxes

khubli

Elder Jungle Leader
I saw beetle damage in a Pepin Blue Label Lancero today that came out of one of the Holiday Samplers. I pulled the cello off all my boxes, checked the smokes, and put them in the freezer.

You may want to check your boxes if you haven't opened them.

Ji

I saw beetle damage in a Pepin Blue Label Lancero today that came out of one of the Holiday Samplers. I pulled the cello off all my boxes, checked the smokes, and put them in the freezer.

You may want to check your boxes if you haven't opened them.

Ji

Sucks to hear. I know Monte#2 will be concerned.

Post up pics if you can.

I sent mine through the freezer but I will have to check them closely... Thanks for the warning! :ss

Sucks to hear. I know Monte#2 will be concerned.

Post up pics if you can.

:hn

Ji - was it a definite beetle hole or just a crack/hole in the wrapper?

Was it from a fresh sampler you just opened? Was the sampler in your humidor by any chance? If so, did you end up freezing everything else as well? :hn

I have heard that the Miami factories often have troubles with beetles. I inspected all of my boxes pretty carefully, but will do so again this weekend. In the past I have frozen everything, although since I just bought a wine cooler I wasn't planning on freezing the samplers. :hn

Have they been exposed to "high" temperatures (i.e. 65-70+)?

It wasn't from my boxes. Someone brought a Blue Label Lancero to the herf in Atlanta today. He said it was from one of the Holiday Samplers. Definately a beetle hole. Ate through and channeled through the wrapper and chewed through the cello. Mine were all okay. They're in the freezer now.

It wasn't from my boxes. Someone brought a Blue Label Lancero to the herf in Atlanta today. He said it was from one of the Holiday Samplers. Definately a beetle hole. Ate through and channeled through the wrapper and chewed through the cello. Mine were all okay. They're in the freezer now.

Has it been hot in Atlanta these days? :hn

I will definitey check out my boxes tomorrow - I gave them a thorough inspection when I separated them a couple of weeks ago. I recently grabbed another sampler and on initial inspection it looked fine as well.

Did the guy mention whether it came directly out of a sampler? I am just wondering if maybe the beetle liked Pepin's as well (i.e. the beetle was from a different cigar)?

I saw it too. Definitely a beetle hole -- multiples, in fact. Big ass beetle ate up that stick. :mad: (not one of mine)

Does the Dr. actually buy Pepin's as well? :D

he said it came out of the sampler. I don't think it came from another stick. It's been well below the 60's in Atlanta lately. My humi hasn't gotten above 70 in the last few months.

he said it came out of the sampler. I don't think it came from another stick. It's been well below the 60's in Atlanta lately. My humi hasn't gotten above 70 in the last few months.

Glad it wasn't out of your Humi Ji!

Whew, good thing I was too broke to buy those samplers :r;)

I checked all my boxes again and nothing major.

One of the blue labels had a small hole where the wrapper was cracked. I removed a small piece of the wrapper around the hole and it was just superficial as it didn't extend into the cigar. Probably just a defect.

I decided to smoke it anyway since I had just defaced the wrapper. :D Man, these are so damn good! I have heard they are not exactly the same as the ones rolled for PuffnStuff and I would probably agree. This one was a little more mild (still medium or so) and was fantastic. Got a little bitter near the end, but definitely worth it.

I will check the boxes regulary to make sure I don't have any problems. Since the temps are in the low 60s around here and I have them in a wine cooler (which I will turn on when it gets warmer), I am going to hold off on freezing for now.

Thanks again for the heads-up Ji!

I checked all my boxes again and nothing major.

One of the blue labels had a small hole where the wrapper was cracked. I removed a small piece of the wrapper around the hole and it was just superficial as it didn't extend into the cigar. Probably just a defect.

I decided to smoke it anyway since I had just defaced the wrapper. :D Man, these are so damn good! I have heard they are not exactly the same as the ones rolled for PuffnStuff and I would probably agree. This one was a little more mild (still medium or so) and was fantastic. Got a little bitter near the end, but definitely worth it.

I will check the boxes regulary to make sure I don't have any problems. Since the temps are in the low 60s around here and I have them in a wine cooler (which I will turn on when it gets warmer), I am going to hold off on freezing for now.

Thanks again for the heads-up Ji!

Yours came from the same batch, but not the same place. I visited the home of the humidor that this sample came from, everything seemed to be in order except no digital hygro, which I rectified today. All of his stash went into the freezer but we inspected each and every stick twice and found no other damage or infestation. Seems as he was very lucky.

Monte2, you are also correct in these are a different blend than the originals. PuffnStuff's were double ligero, the sampler was single if any.

Hopefully, this was an isolated case and no one else will be affected.

Yours came from the same batch, but not the same place. I visited the home of the humidor that this sample came from, everything seemed to be in order except no digital hygro, which I rectified today. All of his stash went into the freezer but we inspected each and every stick twice and found no other damage or infestation. Seems as he was very lucky.

Monte2, you are also correct in these are a different blend than the originals. PuffnStuff's were double ligero, the sampler was single if any.

Hopefully, this was an isolated case and no one else will be affected.

Bob - I would assume they all came from the same batch wouldn't you think?

In terms of storage, what was the temperature like? I am just wondering if the cigars were near a heater or if they were exposed to increased temperatures?

I was under the impression all stages of beetle development were halted below 65F.

I am not surprised a Pepin from Miami had a problem with beetles, I have heard of other people having problems over the last year or so, but I always figured it was due to the temperature.

You actually went to the guys house? Damn, that is customer service. Did you actually find the beetle in the box or do you think the damage was before they were packaged?

I know El Rey de los Habanos supposedly fumigates everything, although I am not convinced that fumigation solves the problem.

My sampler checked out OK but as noted above I also had a wrapper defect on one of my Blue Labels... :ss

threadjack

1. when freezing cigars to stop beetle damage.....do you end up smoking the beetle(s)?

2. do you guys usually put every new box into the freezer for a period of time like quarantine, then move to humi? is that a standard practice?

/threadjack

:tu

threadjack

1. when freezing cigars to stop beetle damage.....do you end up smoking the beetle(s)?

2. do you guys usually put every new box into the freezer for a period of time like quarantine, then move to humi? is that a standard practice?

/threadjack

yes you will end up smoking the bettle or the larva (depending on the stage of development).

JI, i'm glad it wasn't from your humi, for obvious reasons of course :ss

I have been watching this thread because Im looking to buy one of the samplers. Is this a common problem amongst the lanceros?

threadjack

/threadjack

Whether you freeze or not, you may and probably are smoking eggs as they are almost microscopic and on a lot of tobacco. Depending on how they have been treated or stored, you may even torch a larvae or the adult itself.

I personally freeze every cigar that comes into my house, but that is just for personal reasons, most of us don't really have to worry much about it as long as the product is stored properly. There are several threads here about the process, so I won't repeat them here. But it is a very easy and painless process.

I have been watching this thread because Im looking to buy one of the samplers. Is this a common problem amongst the lanceros?

Beetles just seem to be partial to tobacco, I don't think I've ever read where they've developed a preference as to viatola or RG. :ss JK

Bob - I would assume they all came from the same batch wouldn't you think?
In terms of storage, what was the temperature like? I am just wondering if the cigars were near a heater or if they were exposed to increased temperatures?

I was under the impression all stages of beetle development were halted below 65F.

I am not surprised a Pepin from Miami had a problem with beetles, I have heard of other people having problems over the last year or so, but I always figured it was due to the temperature.

You actually went to the guys house? Damn, that is customer service. Did you actually find the beetle in the box or do you think the damage was before they were packaged?

I know El Rey de los Habanos supposedly fumigates everything, although I am not convinced that fumigation solves the problem.

Aaron, I just meant that none of these were mixed with leftovers from the original batch, so yes, they are all from the same run.

I'll be back over there tonight and I'll see what the digital says, it did seem rather warm in the house and I suspect it will be well over 70. Not Customer Service, just a really great friend who was a little panicked. We did not find the bug itself. While the rest of the cigars are in the freezer, we wiped down everthing with alcohol and baited it with a Cremosa and a Pineapple Phillies Blunt. So we figured one way or another, he's gonna die. :tu

I agree with ya though, everything I've read says to keep temps below 70 degrees although here in GA in the summer, I rarely see anyone here that can accomplish that without a cooled unit.

Back