Pepin vs. CAO

Mark C

Lowland Gorilla
We had a party last night, so I started a fire outside and had the chance to sit out and smoke two cigars before I froze my ass off. The two were a Pepin Blue label (thanks Kenny!) and a CAO VR (thanks Frank!), both robustos.

The Pepin was first up to the plate. Sure looked like a nice cigar, and according to the note Kenny sent along with it, it was 11 months old. It lit nice, no burn problems, no relight, excellent construction. There seemed to be a bit of a harshness to the smoke, maybe that's the 'pepper/spice' everyone talks about? There was definitely a lot of different flavors, but the overall 'pepper' seemed to mask them a bit more than I would have preferred. Still, I definitely enjoyed the smoke, and I got to use the new ashtray Adam bombed me with!

Next up was the CAO VR. I know Frank likes the stronger smokes, so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. Construction was also great, though I did have to relight once or twice after the half-way point. The ash was very solid and sturdy, the burn very consistent all the way to the end. The smoke was excellent. This one seemed a bit smoother, earthy maybe, definitely not as 'spicy' as the Pepin, but it also lacked some of the creamier flavors the Pepin's spice was hiding. I thought about opening one of my stouts to drink with this, but it was late and I was already three sheets to the wind. Maybe next time.

Between the two, I'd give a slight nod to the CAO, but just barely. Thanks for the great smokes guys!

Glad you enjoyed the CAO Mark. They were an ok smoke for me, but the few I had were dyed and left my mouth colored.

AHHHH Mark, my ears are burning CAO prefered over a Pepin. j/k

Hey, they sell all kinds because people like different things. I had a VR from Frank as well, my thoughts were it was an average cigar with a crazy price tag. I might like it more if it were about 1/4 the price.

Now Frank makes an interesting point about the dye. The CAO rep that visits this board said flat out, they don't use dye. I know that is false. I smoked a little Italia that Frank gave me, at the end my fingers were brown.

Hey maybe Frank is setting us up, thats why everyone was laughing at me after I smoked that blue cigar he gave me....

Last edited:
AHHHH Mark, my ears are burning CAO prefered over a Pepin. j/k

Haha, I know you mentioned you preferred the blacks to the blues, I'll try that one next.

I don't think I had a problem with dye, but it was late and I'd been drinking. Still, I don't remember brown fingers/mouth.

Looks like I've got some more experimenting to do if that's what you guys consider an 'average' cigar, but that's half the fun!

Do you remember which cigar you picked out for me at RBS? I think that is my overall favorite at the moment, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

That was a Padilla 68. That's cool you liked it. I smoked one off the truck and I think it was too wet, had some burn problems, but it tasted great. The one you had was probably rested at least 3 or 4 weeks from that. I have to give another a try. I typically like most Padilla, the 1932 is my favorite, didn't I give you one of those? You will likey that one.

I typically like most Padilla, the 1932 is my favorite, didn't I give you one of those? You will likey that one.

Yup, sure did. I'll try that next.

I think y'all are just Pepin whores :tu. Names mean nothing to me (I'm new at this game), prices mean nothing (they were both gifted), I'm completely impartial. :chk

Yup, sure did. I'll try that next.

I think y'all are just Pepin whores :tu. Names mean nothing to me (I'm new at this game), prices mean nothing (they were both gifted), I'm completely impartial. :chk
Yeah I guess its just the whore in me as well because there isnt a CAO that Ive smoked that comes even close to any of the Pepin blends.

I'm not a hardcore Pepin whore, more like softcore, I can live without the JJ's, the CI Legend or the Padilla Miami. But I'll burn Black, Blues, 1932 and 5 Vegas Miami all day long in that order.

I wasn't impressed with Tatuaje Miami either, I'll save my money and buy 2 boxes of Blacks or 3 boxes of 5 Vegas Miami for the price. For $11 or more a stick I expect an epiphany.

Softcore? As a married man I would guess you were a hardcore fan......

oh btw smoked an Mx2 Last night. Same issue with the VR dyed like a mutha. 6x60 size was plugged like a bitch too.

Yeah, I think I'm done with CAO's. I have a few Mx2 left from a box that split off, but other than that I won't go out of my way to aquire them. I did like the Brazilia but that is one stick. I just can't stand all the friggin money they put into packaging and them skimp on the product.
And the rep on here said flat out they don't use dye, a bold faced lie!
I am not going to pay premium prices for a velvet box. I'd rather put the cash in Pepins where the value is all in the tobacco.

I had a Pepin Black Robusto that I had dry boxed for 3 days, it was perfection!

Don Pepin JJ Maduro will take any of the CAO in my eyes... But, just an opinion!!

I actually just smoked one a few days ago. It was good, but still not quite what I'm looking for I think. I'm a bigger fan of the Padilla lines than the Pepin so far. Looking forward to trying a Pepin black though.

Back