Perdomo EDICIÓN de SILVIO

Mr. Doug

Gorilla
So I got this cigar in a trade from my local shop. In order to give it to me, he had to type in a combination on a 7' glass display box where a single box is proudly displayed. The price on this one was $28...so I'm guessing that's why the security is necessary...but there is also the 'Wow' factor to anything behind such a contraption.

From the Perdomo website:
EDICIÓN de SILVIO® was reverently created by Nick Perdomo Jr. as a living tribute to honor his late grandfather and mentor, Silvio Perdomo. Traditionally hand-made, EDICIÓN de SILVIO® is comprised of a masterful blend of exquisite tobaccos, the origin of which are a fiercely guarded secret known only to the Perdomo family.

EDICIÓN de SILVIO® is a smoking experience that yields an impressive, robust taste with an undercurrent of delicate complex tones. Available in Natural, Maduro or a Genuine African Cameroon wrapper, each EDICIÓN de SILVIO® is rolled using a traditional Cuban method of mounting the head of the cigar with a triple-cap. Although this method is a dying art, it is a signature of the quality and craftsmanship of a super-premium cigar.

Only five of the factory's most elite torcedors are permitted to handcraft the commemorative cigars honoring Silvio Perdomo's most cherished vitolas: "Petit Corona" (4 3/4" x 46); "Robusto" (5" x 54); "Toro" (6" x 52); "Double Corona" (7 5/8" x 50); "No.2 Torpedo" (6 1/8" x 54); "Salomon en Cedro" (7 1/4" x 49 x 60).

Delicately packaged under lock and key within rustic, 20 count "Spanish Galleon" tobacco chests, each cigar is naturally infused with an elegant cedar aroma as it is surrounded by hand-carved Spanish cedar "ribbons".

The box that they come in looks to be about 1/2" thick on all sides, and has a real lock on it, with a wax seal.

The band is pretty impressive in its own right. About the size of a half-dollar and covered in foil and nice paper...bt we don't smoke that, so let's get on to the taste!

1.jpg

After cutting it just past the 3rd cap, I found that it drew very easily...but not too easy that I felt I could huff it down in 20min. This is a big boy at 6 1/8" X 54.

I got hints of cedar initially, maybe a bit of coco?

Let's light it and see what we get!

2.jpg

5min into it and I'm REALLY enjoying this cigar. I mean REALLY enjoying it.

Immediately I taste the hints of spanish cedar, but it isn't over-powering by ANY stretch.

The other cool thing that I'm noticing is the ash. It's about the whitest ash I've ever seen in a non-cuban cigar. Could this be the special African wrapper they mention on the site?

3.jpg

While I'm smoking and catching up on the rest of the review...I'll talk about construction for a second.

Firm all the way through, and no noticeable knots or anything. The construction appears to be very consistant all the way through the cigar. I'd expect this from a $25 burn...and have seen MUCH shoddier construction in some $30 - $40 Habanos.

The color is a light carmel...I'd say "Camel" but that has a bad connotation when you are talking about lighting something on fire and smoking it. (I can't think of any smell more repulsive than burning camel hair!)

30min and about 1.5" into it...here's what I'm seeing on the burn, and taste.

Burn: No need to even think about a re-light. Very even all around. The ash is thick and fine. Nearly solid white throughout. The burn peake slightly in the center, and stays flat everywhere else. (see pic below.)

Taste: There is a TON of flavor in this stogie...but it's not at any point TOO much. Calling it mild would be wrong, but it's certainly not a harsh cigar either. Very creamy and easy to draw. Plenty of smoke appears with each puff.

4.jpg

With about 3.5" left, the SILVIO is really staying consistent. It isn't hot at all...isn't harsh...just nice and creamy.

Maybe a LITTLE pepper, but not much at all. It's really quite pleasant.

I took the above picture at 9:11PM, and took this one at 9:31...and didn't ash at all. It is sticking to the cigar like glue.

5.jpg

And at 9:51...

6.jpg

After ashing it to see how it is burning...

7.jpg

So I think I've established that the construction and burn of this cigar is outstanding...let's talk a little more about taste.

With about 2.5" left...1.5" smokeable, I'm STILL tasting about the exact same cigar that I started with. The only change has been the heat from the burn getting closer...but it hasn't really changed the flavor all that much at all.

This is a vary flavorful cigar. The understated hints of cedar, leather, pepper, and coco have been quite constant.

Here's to the last smokable inch!

8.jpg

We're coming down the home-stretch and I just noticed something.

This is my 3rd cigar today. NORMALLY that's about my limit...but I could smoke another one of these in a heartbeat if Nick (FNCS owner) showed up with a few. I don't know if my tolerance is building up, but if this was a Monte #2, I'd be about ready for this to end right now.

Great review Doug! Very informative and the pics are a nice touch. Just like being there. Great job.

So here we are at the last few puffs...

9.jpg

As I said earlier...I don't want it to end. The cigar has smoked VERY consistently throughout the last hour and a half. Being my 3rd, and final cigar for the day, I'm not exactly ready to run a marathon or anything...but I'd gladly fire another one up if the opportunity were to present its self to me.

Would I pay $28 for another one? If I were in the mood...yes.

Would I recommend YOU buy one to try? Without hesitation.

So with a dying MacBook, an empty liter of San Pellegrino, a Chocolate Lab that want's to go to bed, and an assortment of bugs that are CLEARLY not bothered by the citronella torches I have lit...I'm going inside for the evening.

A+ cigar if you ask me...

10.jpg

I fell in love with cigar from one main reason...other than the obvious consistency and amazing flavor...I lit one for a ride home...one of the Cameroon Keeneys...and decided I need to pick up some beer before I got to the cigar shop. Well, the local booze vendor does not allow smoking, and I was driving a vehicle that I am by no means to smoke in so I couldn't let it rest in the ashtray. I set the cigar on the windshield wiper arm. The weather being January was not a nice temp, cold as can be plus the wind was blowing. I was in the liquor store for about twenty minutes because I ran into an ex-girlfriends mom who for smoe reason wanted to talk to me about how her daughter was still single and doing well...anyhow, after I paid and left I went for my lighter to relight what I thought was going to be a dead cigar...I WAS WAY WRONG...the cigar was burning with the same intensity it had been when I initially lit it...

I know they are an expensive stick but oh so worth it....

Back