Perdomo Fresco

Mr. Doug

Gorilla
So I figured while I'm in the "review a Perdomo" mode, I'd round it out with their "budget" line.

The Fresco is a Nicaraguan Handmade cigar. From Perdomo's Website...

Tabacalera Perdomo S.A. reintroduced the PERDOMO FRESCO® cigar brand to appeal to a broader segment of the premium cigar market.

The new PERDOMO FRESCO® blend is comprised of savory long filler tobaccos grown in the rich, dark soil of the Perdomo farm in Esteli. The binders are carefully selected from Perdomo's crops grown in the Jalapa Valley region. Graced with a golden Connecticut shade-grown wrapper, PERDOMO FRESCO® is a mild to medium-bodied cigar that is creamy, smooth and well-balanced. Consumers may choose from the following four traditional sizes packaged in eye-catching bundles of 25: Robusto (5" x 50); Toro (6" x 50); Churchill (7" x 50) and Torpedo (6½" x 54).

"Although we're a premium cigar manufacturer, I've always wanted to introduce a new blend at an affordable price for the everyday cigar smoker," states third-generation cigar maker Nick Perdomo. "I'm extremely pleased that cigar enthusiasts will be able to smoke a premium, long filler Perdomo cigar at an incredibly modest price."

Translation...$2.50 cigar that shouldn't taste like a "Black & Mild"

Let's dig in and see what we end up with!

I chose the Natural Churchill at 50X7. For $2.60...that's a LOT of cigar.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Construction was nice, but I felt the wrapper was a bit too thin...again. I'm not sure that you'll find anyone that's breaking out the 'good stuff' for a $2.60 stick. When I peeled the band off of the torpedo that I bought, part of the wrapper came off with it. I decided not to smoke that one, and consider that I'll smoke this one a while before removing it.

Initial draw on the un-lit cigar was firm, but not too firm. I guess "Just Right" would be the right way to describe it.

5-min into the cigar, and I'm not at all disappointed. We've ALL spent WAY more money on cigars that had better reputations, but little to no taste.

3.jpg

Initial reaction is a LOT of leather, a little spice, and a little on the hard side of taste. I wouldn't call it creamy yet...but I think it'll come later on. A couple other Perdomos that I've smoked have started out this way.

My normal "go-to" cigar is a Punch Elite...another Sub-$3.00 smoke that I like better at this point...but this is CERTAINLY nothing to push up your nose to.

Is it a Monte #2? Not even close.

Is it a great yard-cigar at this point? You bet.

10min into it, the ash is fairly tight...the smoke draws easliy...I'd still put it in the "Yard Cigar" category.

4.jpg

About a min after I took that one, the first ash dumped on its own.

This is what the head looked like...

5.jpg

6.jpg

Fairly consistent roll...

Absolutley, this is an excellent cigar, although I prefer the maduro Fresco. I buy a bundle about every month, as they are perfect for golfing. Price is excellent, and in my opinion are much better than many cigars 3-4 times its price.

Just when I was thinking this was going to be a "once in a while" cigar, this little guy evened out a bit.

The draw eased up a hair...which could be because it is getting hotter, and softening up the tobacco, but I'm going to say that I got into a nicer part of the filler.

It is now a LITTLE creamier, and the 'leather' taste has eased up a bit. Still nothing like the Silvio, or Habano that I reviewed in other threads, but it's along the same lines.

We've calmed down a LOT since the last pic was taken.

8.jpg

The wrapper is coming apart slightly at the end, but the effects aren't noticeable at this point.

Still on the hard side of creamy...not harsh at all anymore overall though.

You'll notice that even though it's a cheap cigar, the band is still embossed, and foil printed.

10.jpg

Nick Perdomo knows how to make a cheap cigar feel special. ;)

So I let it sit for 5min while I went in and got another bottle of San Pellegrino...and came back to find this.

11.jpg

I took a few puffs before I dumped the ask and it tasted real bad. I dumped, and noticed that I was burning backwards. (Not sure what the correct term is.)

I'm going to re-light it with the torch a bit and see what happens...

Ooh...I just noticed that I have 100 posts and am now a "Maturing Primate"...I THINK that's a good thing...right?

We're now in full-on creamy mode.

For a $2.50 stick, I'm more and more impressed as I go on.

The end is un-wrapping its elf, but I can't take off too many points. It tastes pretty good, and didn't cost a lot.

For the price...these are GREAT cigars. We cannot keep these guys on our shelves.

Nice revire :)

As great as this particular cigar tastes...I keep having to re-light it...so I thin I'm going to call it.

Time of death...8:50PM.

Overall, great stick. I'd smoke another one in a minute.

I DO think I'l grab a bundle to use for the golf course, or cutting the grass. I may go with the Robusto next time...the Churchull is a bit long for my taste.

I hope you all enjoyed my Tri-Fecta of Perdomo reviews...I'm going to hit another brand next.

Ahhh damn, I have a couple Reserve Maduro's and Sun Growns in my humi I was hoping you got to before I try them.

Another nice review Mr., look forward to the next.

Back