Pirate's Gold Honduran

TU09

Lowland Gorilla
I had a weak moment on cigarbid.com and purchased a twenty count bundle of Pirate’s Gold, Honduran version which are apparently no longer in production. Expected these to be a moocher hand-out but was pleasantly surprised. Based on this first cigar, I would strongly recommend this cigar as a budget choice. Before purchasing these I couldn't find much in the way of reviews so I thought I would contribute my own.

General Background: Smoked right off the DHL truck outside on my home patio with a dark and stormy accompanying the second third.

Cigar: Pirate’s Gold Corona (Honduran)

Size: 6.5 x 46

Prelight Impressions: Golden brown wrapper with a reddish tinge. Finely veined. Sweet barnyard aroma. Unusual band featuring a pirate.
(8/10)

Construction: Great triple cap and excellent draw. Required three touchups despite being fresh off the truck. Slightly uneven burn but not severe enough to require frequent torching. Held a flakey, one inch light grey ash.
(7/10)

Flavor: Medium-Full bodied and Full flavored. Lights with a slight sweetness which persists throughout. Hints of spice during the first two thirds. First third consisted primarily of a sweet leather and tobacco with the leather giving way to a richer tobacco flavor in the second third. The final third added toasted nuts to the rich tobacco and occasional hints of butter.
(8/10)

Overall Impression: Excellent draw and moderate amounts of smoke. Nice, complex flavor. Seems well made given its performance right off the truck. This cigar cost me less than one dollar though cbid so I would certainly consider this an excellent value and look forward to smoking more of them.
(8/10)

Score: 7.75/10

Thanks for the review. I was really curious about this cigar. I might need to visit the Devil Site again!

Benz

Oh great! Like I need a reason to visit cbid again. Thanks a lot.

Seriously, though, great review. I was curious about these, too. I might have to check them out.

(IMHO) I would agree that Reyes is a skillful blender... But I would question his judgement with the "Pirates" thing. I Bid on a bundle, received them, smoked one, and threw 15 in the trash. I'll let the other 4 age and try them again in a year.

It seems that Reyes is kinda' like Perdomo... There are some real WINNERS in the various lines, and there are also some real LOSERS!

Ahh well... It's kinda' like cars. Either you love them or you hate them!

The Pirate's Gold kinda' reminds me of the AMC "Pacer" (for those of you who can remember)... It looked better upside-down than it did right-side up!!!

(Please don't take my commentary too seriously... My wife doesn't, and that's why I'm still married!)

Smoked another today. Required one touchup but burned slightly unevenly for the last half. Flavor was similar but started off with less flavor and had a few spots around the center that weren't too great (harsh/unpleasant). These bad draws were limited (maybe three) but present none the less. I would rate it the same as the first overall knocking a point off the flavor and adding one to the construction. Will investigate further..... :D

Like to check these out but they probably all will be gone before I get to them. I've already blown my Aug-Sept stogie budget.Nice review though, just a month early.

Full Bodied Bruce said:
Like to check these out but they probably all will be gone before I get to them. I've already blown my Aug-Sept stogie budget.Nice review though, just a month early.

PM me your addy and I'll send you one, a No. 4.

Have these changed from the original PG's? I remember back when they first came out around 2001-2002-ish, our boss ordered a crapload of them at RTDA (did he try them first? Noooooooooo). Anyway, turns out they were complete dog rockets and just barked at us from the shelves? Have they had a "rebirth"?

The ones I reviewed are the original Honduran made Pirate's Gold. Apperantly the original production was pretty good then production was moved to Emilio Reyes Dominican Republic factory and the line fell to dog rocket status. Production ceased for a time and the brand is now produced, reblended, in Nicaragua at Tabacalera Esteli. I have only smoked the Honduran but would like to try the Nicaraguan. The Domiinican production is supposed to be of cremosa status and has scared many people away from the line so the remaining Hondurans, now several years old, go for next to nothing on cbid. I like them mostly for the value, they remind me of a Puros Indios and I have had some that I think are even better.

Last edited:
Trumpet said:
Have these changed from the original PG's? I remember back when they first came out around 2001-2002-ish, our boss ordered a crapload of them at RTDA (did he try them first? Noooooooooo). Anyway, turns out they were complete dog rockets and just barked at us from the shelves? Have they had a "rebirth"?

The dog rocket ones were made in the Dominican Republic by Emilio Reyes.. The ones made in Honduras by Rolando Reyes are much better. The ones CI has been selling the last month or so are the Hondurand; prior to that were the DRs.

-Matt-

For a while a Nicaraguan blend was being made by Cuban Crafters in collaboration with Rolando Reyes. Looks like they're out of stock now; I guess they weren't selling at 85.00 a box.

The Hondurans from CI taste like Puros Indios to me. A good bargain if you like PI -- they're better than Rolys and about the same price. Good yard gars.

picked up a 5 pack for three bucks on CBID. If they are bad then not much money wasted. If anything they will be good "Golf Buddy" cigars.

I had one of these last week, and I felt thet it started off nearly as bad as the Drew Estate Egg I had a few months back. Got better from there.

Back