Por Larranaga Comparison Review: CC vs. NC

longknocker

SilverBack
Hal (HK3) asked me to do a comparison review between the CC and NC Por Larranaga. He generously sent me 10 various vitolas in the NC version from Early '08 and I had a Nov. '06 CC PL Panatella from D'Ball. Thanks so much for the sticks, guys!
On to the review.
Por Larranaga NC 5X46 ( Smallest ring guage I had in the NC)- '08

Por Larranaga CC 5X37- '06

I did a puff by puff comparison in order to fully appreciate the difference between these two cigars.

The CC has a dark brown, rich, oily sheen, while the NC is a much lighter tan, and appears much "drier" even though both were stored in identical 65RH Humidity. (Sorry, no pics., since I don't have a decent camera!)

Pre-light aroma was very sweet in the CC and bland in the NC.

Burn was very even throughout in the NC and somewhat uneven in the CC, but required no touch-ups in either stick.

Taste and aroma were mild, "grassy", and almost tasteless throughout the NC.

The CC, on the other hand, revealed a smooth, rich, sweet taste and aroma, with a hint of caramel that persisted throughout the smoke.

Overall duration of smoke: 45 minutes for each stick, even though the NC was a much larger RG.

Overall rating: 9.0 CC (1 point off for uneven burn).
6.0 NC ( points off for lack of taste and "grass")

Thanks so much, HK3 and DBall for sending me the smokes for comparison!

Greg

Reactions: hk3
Excellent comparison review. Isn't it amazing that a cc of that size would burn just as long if not longer than a nc of a greater size.

Sorry the nc sucked. Sucks even more that you have 9 more to burn. :hn:D

LOVE the PL Pan's. Such a tasty, smooth smoke. Filler smiller, I dont care its the flavor that keeps me coming back to these tasty little treats. :ss

Thanks for the comparison review. :tu

Never had an NC Por Larranaga, Greg....after your review, I likely never will. ;)

Thanks for the comparison review! :)

Great review. Some time ago, I had stumbled upon a NC PL. I have to say that your review was spot on with my experiences smoking it, especially the grassy part. Interesting comparison of the two. Thanks for taking the time to review them.
:tu

Back