Possible fridgedoor??

Even Steven

SilverBack
I was able to pick up a used compact refridgerator for free, it works fine, nothing special but its one of the older late 90's looking boxes.
http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/...ductID.19068/qx/shopping/product/BCA1811B.htm

I was wondering if I could convert it to a humi, I mean I know I can but will I still be putting power to it (make it cold on low, using like a fridge still)??
Or do I just slap cedar on the walls and door then load up without any power going to it?

If I can use it with the power on then that's perfect since it's pretty hot here. I can put the setting on low and then figure out a way to control the humidity swings.

Do you guys have any suggestions, examples or pictures?

I'm certainly no expert. But if I understand correctly, the Wine Coolers (Vinotemp) are thermoelecticly cooled, whereas the small refrigerators are cooled with a freon and a compressor. I think the small fridges also cause more internal humidity/condensation. Not sure about the power off option.

As Tim said, the main thing to be concerned about would be internal condensation. Might be able to use dry beads to help absorb excess moisture. Keep everything in boxes and away from the sides/back. Without power it should hold just like a cooler, but in your location temp control is probably the main concern. :2

Good point! yea that's what I was afraid of, humidity.

Maybe I could just use one of those 50ct boxes and keep them in there, so that I can have some easy access cigars in my garage? Since the 50ct humi's are supposed to be air tight the humidity created by the fridge shouldn't be much of a problem?

What do you guys things?

Hmmm, I think this will be pointless.
I plan to keep other things in my fridge(beer) if I can't fill it whole with cigars. But if I add cigars, the setting will be low and will probably be around 55F+/-5 which is good but I want the beer to feel the usual 35F or so temp.

Soooo..either have super cold cigars at around 35F or not so ice cold beer??

Hmmm, I think this will be pointless.
I plan to keep other things in my fridge(beer) if I can't fill it whole with cigars. But if I add cigars, the setting will be low and will probably be around 55F+/-5 which is good but I want the beer to feel the usual 35F or so temp.

Soooo..either have super cold cigars at around 35F or not so ice cold beer??

I serve my beers at about 50 degrees or so. They get rave reviews. But, then, my beers have a good flavor. If you drink BMC, then I don't blame you for wanting to hide the flavor with excessive chilling. With the exception of ice cream, 34 degrees is waayyy too cold for anything that actually tastes good.

To tell you the truth, I doubt I would taste much difference. I've actually just started drinking beer and I'm trying to find what I like.
So far I've tried Heineken, Budlight and Ice, Corona, Redstripe and Bluemoon Belgian White Ale..I think? Pretty much all the party beer that almost every local here drinks minus the Bluemoon. Heine which taste like absolute crap is very popular with a large portion of locals, I have yet to find out why.

So far Budlight is alright, so is Corona, Redstripe taste like Corona, and Bluemoon BWA taste kinda like corona but with that fruity taste/aftertaste.
Not exactly awesome beer but I'm just a noob to the tenth power lol.

I'm going to start picking up some beers made in Hawaii to try them out.

Recommend any? what beer do you serve? is this your own brew?
Oh and I've only drank beer that came out of a 35F or lower fridge, I had no idea they or some would taste better at a higher temp.

Btw, I don't know why, but I think I should throw this up. I can only drink 2 beers max within 5-6 hours or so, I'm still adjusting to the taste since I used to be dead sick of beers. But I find all these different choices and flavors interesting like cigars.

I do have to agree good beers do taste much better at about 50-60. This is why good wine is served room temperature. I'm still trying a few different types of beers now. Luckily my B&M is also a great wine/liquor/beer store. Sure when it's 35 degrees it's refreshing on a hot day and that's what coors light, bud light, heine, and corona are good for. But once you start drinking the microbrews you start drinking them a little warmer. When beer is served closer to room temp the flavors open up. This is true with wine, and any fine liquor. A cheap scotch or whisky I'll drink with a few cubes or a mixer. Once I start going to Johnny Walker blue label or a Macallan 18 it's no ice no mixer and at room temperature.

Actually the thing you need to worry about is too much humidity being pulled out with a compressor type fridge.

Get youself one of the Johnson External thermostats, around $50 wired. This will allow you to keep the fridge from getting too cold.

Keep all you sticks in boxes, don't use trays. The boxes will help to keep a little mico humid environment for the cigars. So when th fridge cycles and pulls humidity out of the air, the boxes will still be holding humidity.

There are plenty of people who have this kind of set up, you just need to fiddle with it until you get it to operate right in your particular location.

To tell you the truth, I doubt I would taste much difference. I've actually just started drinking beer and I'm trying to find what I like.
So far I've tried Heineken, Budlight and Ice, Corona, Redstripe and Bluemoon Belgian White Ale..I think? Pretty much all the party beer that almost every local here drinks minus the Bluemoon. Heine which taste like absolute crap is very popular with a large portion of locals, I have yet to find out why.

So far Budlight is alright, so is Corona, Redstripe taste like Corona, and Bluemoon BWA taste kinda like corona but with that fruity taste/aftertaste.
Not exactly awesome beer but I'm just a noob to the tenth power lol.

I'm going to start picking up some beers made in Hawaii to try them out.

Recommend any? what beer do you serve? is this your own brew?
Oh and I've only drank beer that came out of a 35F or lower fridge, I had no idea they or some would taste better at a higher temp.

Btw, I don't know why, but I think I should throw this up. I can only drink 2 beers max within 5-6 hours or so, I'm still adjusting to the taste since I used to be dead sick of beers. But I find all these different choices and flavors interesting like cigars.

I'm always happy to throw out beer suggestions. A few weeks ago, I had a sampling party and we sampled 30 beers in one night... so I guess you can say I have tried a few different ones. I'm also a homebrewer.

First, buy yourself a bottle of Lindeman's Framboise. It's a raspberry lambic, which means it's a little bit sour. The taste is out of this world. And yes, it really is a beer. Share it with a hot chick, she'll be all over you.

Next, try Young's London Ale. It's an ESB which stands for "Extra Special Bitter". It's not really all that bitter by modern standards, but it's a historic style going back to the days when london's water supply was unfit to drink so everybody drank beer instead.

Next, try Bellhaven's. It's a scottish ale. Very malty. If you don't like Heineken and you don't mind darker beers, you will really like this one. Remember, dark does not mean roasty or bitter. Besides Guinness, most dark beers are sweet due to the mellanoidin reactions in the kilning of the malt which brings out the sweetness. Also check out Warsteiner Dunkel (Dark).

Next, you MUST try a wheat beer. Fraziskaner Hefeweizen or Paulaner Hefeweizen are two great introductions to wheat beer. These are perfect summer time beers and they go down great.

That all I have for now. The hefeweizens can be served cold as heck for summer consumption, but most of the rest I would serve at cellar temps or maybe just a few degrees colder. Definitely, not warm, but not chilled to death either.

As for the compressor-type fridge, I agree with the moisture issue, however, some cheap fridges, like $80 fridges, are the Peltier-cooling type, I believe.

Cheers!

I do have to agree good beers do taste much better at about 50-60. This is why good wine is served room temperature. I'm still trying a few different types of beers now. Luckily my B&M is also a great wine/liquor/beer store. Sure when it's 35 degrees it's refreshing on a hot day and that's what coors light, bud light, heine, and corona are good for. But once you start drinking the microbrews you start drinking them a little warmer. When beer is served closer to room temp the flavors open up. This is true with wine, and any fine liquor. A cheap scotch or whisky I'll drink with a few cubes or a mixer. Once I start going to Johnny Walker blue label or a Macallan 18 it's no ice no mixer and at room temperature.

Lol I don't think I'll ever find beer to be refreshing, unless of course I find something that I reeaaally like.
I feel almost ashamed, I'm not a big alky fan, at all. I mean I'm a fan, just not one who knows his stuff, I'm glad you guys are here :D

Actually the thing you need to worry about is too much humidity being pulled out with a compressor type fridge.

Get youself one of the Johnson External thermostats, around $50 wired. This will allow you to keep the fridge from getting too cold.

Keep all you sticks in boxes, don't use trays. The boxes will help to keep a little mico humid environment for the cigars. So when th fridge cycles and pulls humidity out of the air, the boxes will still be holding humidity.

There are plenty of people who have this kind of set up, you just need to fiddle with it until you get it to operate right in your particular location.
Good idea, I might just do this so that I'll have some sticks that will be close to me, this will be good especially when everyone is sleeping and I don't have to run upstairs and wake everyone up.

I'm always happy to throw out beer suggestions. A few weeks ago, I had a sampling party and we sampled 30 beers in one night... so I guess you can say I have tried a few different ones. I'm also a homebrewer.

First, buy yourself a bottle of Lindeman's Framboise. It's a raspberry lambic, which means it's a little bit sour. The taste is out of this world. And yes, it really is a beer. Share it with a hot chick, she'll be all over you.

Next, try Young's London Ale. It's an ESB which stands for "Extra Special Bitter". It's not really all that bitter by modern standards, but it's a historic style going back to the days when london's water supply was unfit to drink so everybody drank beer instead.

Next, try Bellhaven's. It's a scottish ale. Very malty. If you don't like Heineken and you don't mind darker beers, you will really like this one. Remember, dark does not mean roasty or bitter. Besides Guinness, most dark beers are sweet due to the mellanoidin reactions in the kilning of the malt which brings out the sweetness. Also check out Warsteiner Dunkel (Dark).

Next, you MUST try a wheat beer. Fraziskaner Hefeweizen or Paulaner Hefeweizen are two great introductions to wheat beer. These are perfect summer time beers and they go down great.

That all I have for now. The hefeweizens can be served cold as heck for summer consumption, but most of the rest I would serve at cellar temps or maybe just a few degrees colder. Definitely, not warm, but not chilled to death either.

As for the compressor-type fridge, I agree with the moisture issue, however, some cheap fridges, like $80 fridges, are the Peltier-cooling type, I believe.

Cheers!

Oh all these sounds yummy, only problem is I don't know if they sell these down here. I'm going to have to do some searching.

If I can't find these, is it uncommon to order beer online?

Back