Possibly the greatest humidification system ever built

AAlmeter

HOT for HILLARY!!
My humidor got a little roughed up during my move back home, and because of that, it no longer has a perfect seal. Its usually in the basement, so the RH was spot on during the summer. Lately, its been a different story. So, I decided to make myself an "active" humidification system.

Design time: 2 minutes pre-planning, the rest was made up as I went along

Fabrication time: 10 minutes

Supplies needed:

Remington 870 12-ga
00 Buck
Florists foam
PC fan
Some sort of perforated sheet metal I found in the basement
12V adaptor
1' of wire

During my 2 minutes of design time, I decided to mount the foam in front of the fan. But theres no way a PC fan could blow through 1/2" of florists foam. I needed to make holes in it, but how? Poke holes in it? Too easy! I decided to go to bed (this was last night) and work on it after I went to the range in the morning.

It was at that moment that I had my answer. Shoot the foam! 40 yards, 00 buck, IC choke. Perfect!

Cut it into a 1/2" thick 3.5" x 3.5" chunk, wrapped it in perf sheet metal, cut myself as I always do while working with sheet metal, used solid copper wire to attach it to the fan, and bent the hot prong on the PC fan so the AC adapter would stay in place.

Results:

Humidity from 58% to 66% in 5 minutes.

Is this bad for the cigars to rise so quickly? Some say yes, but they haven't cracked. I figure its no worse than taking them from the box they were shipped in and throwing them in the humidor.

Right now, I have to plug it in whenever I need a quick shot of humidity. It seems every other day or so. Coincidentally, that is about as often as our sump pump turns on. In order to make it a hands-free system, I am working on developing a relay that will use household current from the sump pump to turn on the 12V fan....but thats still in development.

I have also filed for a patent on the manufacturing process used to prepare the foam for use.

I'll post some pictures when I get a replacement USB cord. Damn dog thought it was a chew toy.

Heh... the many uses of a good firearm should never be underestimated. :u Sounds cool. Would love to see the pics when you get it all straightened out.

[QUOTE=

It was at that moment that I had my answer. Shoot the foam! 40 yards, 00 buck, IC choke. Perfect!

There are 15 pellets in a 12 gauge 3 inch OO buckshot load. At forty yards with improved cylinder doesn't seem like very many holes. How many shots did it take?

Only two...the stuff crumbles quite easily, so I didnt want to risk ruining my project before it even got off the ground.

I figured one would be enough, but 2 holes didnt satisfy me. So I fired another and ended up with a half dozen or so. As I said, I didn't want to go overboard. The back side of the block (maybe 5" thick) had already been made into a mess from the pellets breaking it apart when they exited.

And the 40 yds is an estimate. I just went over to the rifle range (it was 2 degrees out this morning...not too many people out) and set it up against the backstop (hill). I shot from around halfway between the 50yd bench and the target boards (which are 10-15yds from the hill). So figure....50/2 + (10+15)/2 +/- 5 = 32.5 to 42.5 yards from the target. Magic bullets were not used, contact Colgate for more information on magic bullet ballistics.

I hop eyou were not using steel shot... your cigars might not be 'unleaded' anymore!!!
;)

AAlmeter said:
Have one. The nice thing about the 12V is the tiny power cord.

errr... I think the size of the power cord has more to do with the amperage being pulled rather than the voltage. My electric kitchen stove is 120v but still needs a larger power cord than say a desk lamp. You should be able to run a 120v muffin fan with just as small of a power cord as a 12v fan unless the 120v has a really ineffecient moter that pulls a hell of a lot more juice.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an electrician. My dad is, and I have wired everything from regular outlets to central vacumes to water pumps for municipal water supplies to oil well pumps under his watchfull eye so I probably know what I'm talking about but I won't be responsible if you burn down your house.

Back