Post-embargo White Owl (uva) - PICS!

jjirons69

Son of Evil Emperor Zurg
Got a 5'er of these babies from BD Strummer for my birthday last month. They're been sitting outside of my humidor, resting, waiting for the opportune moment. You know how it is, someone asks you to do something and when you're neck deep doing it, you think, why did I ever say yes. I feel this way now.

I'm a man of my word, no matter how stupid it is. Such goes my White Owl (grape) review...

Size: 4.75 x 40
Wrapper: No veins, very smooth, almost looks machine-rolled. By far the most perfect wrapper I've ever seen. Possibly habano seed.
Pre-light: Has a strong grape sucker smell.

grape1.jpg

I left my Palio inside. There was already a convenient hole in the cap, which was close to a triple. The draw was good. Had a sweet taste to my lips. Reminds me of grape Kool Aid.

grape2.jpg

The cigar was well-constructed. You could tell the torcedor takes his job seriously at the White Owl facility. The long filler looked well arranged. The foot smells like...grape.

grape3.jpg

The initial light was kind of spicy, as most good smokes are. Reminded me of a good Pepin, except for the strong grape flavor and absence of any other flavors. I was in for a treat!

grape4.jpg

The first third settled down and smoked very clean and harsh. The spice and black pepper (maybe white, hard to tell with the grape mask) was building in the back of my throat. The burn was razor sharp and gave good amounts of purple-tinted smoke.

grape5.jpg

The second third picked up a little more spice. I kept thinking I was getting hints of Madagascar vanilla or Brazillian plums (maybe the "contains non-tobacco products" listed on the box), but I believe it may have been more of a grape Nehi soda. It was picking up strength that reminded me of a young Opus X. I stayed with it and knew the nicotine would soon pass.

grape7.jpg

The last third is where this baby blossomed. The flavors combined for a real treat. The spice mellowed, then built, then mellowed again. The body would be labeled as medium to full. The complexity was finally showing itself. A quick exhale through my nostrils gave a warm, sweet, grape jelly taste. More along the Smuckers line.

grape8.jpg

All good things must end, as does this sunny evening treat. I nubbed it with a giant smile on my face. A gifted cigar always tastes better. You can see the superior construction with the long ash from the Dominican filler. Brown specks from the Mexican binder was showing through on the ash, a treat for my eyes I don't see on many cigars. I was left with a strong Marlboro red flavor, with drops of grape Hubba Bubba in the background.

grape9.jpg

In conclusion, I would rate this post-embargo White Owl in the category of grape tobaccos. I'm left kind of speechless and challenge everyone else to try to explain their own experiences.

Pros:
  • Can toss the Palio, hole provided
  • Beautiful vein-free wrapper
  • The after-taste is a treat for the spouse come "loving time"
  • Can be readily found in local shops
  • Cheaper than Cremosa Cubanas

Cons:
  • Attracts bees and other nectar-feeding insects
  • Not for the noob, spicy and complex
  • Not available in maduro, which I favor
  • Only one vitola available, a churchill would be spectacular
  • Leaves a strong desire to eat peanut butter

Score - 91/100

Never thought I'd live to see a review on a Grape White Owl, but heck it's one of the best reviews, with pics, I've ever read.

However, I don't know if I'll be rushing out to buy one anytime soon......unless it's for Shilala!! :r

Great review. :tu

You might be the first person ever to actually smoke the tobacco inside the grape wrapper! :w

Thank you for the review, interesting to say the least. I plan on bookmarking your thread so that I may read thru it the next time I enjoy the "Grape Ape".

You really have to respect how far the Mexican wrapper industry has come.

:r That review got me in tears, so well made of a cigar deserves nothing but the best and you made it proud, well done. :r

Wow, that's really taking one for the team. :r
:ss And did your spouse appreciate the after-taste? Did she think it was a treat come "loving time"? :D

Thanks for the review Jamie! I'm going to check cbid to see if they have some I can get a good deal on! These look like a must try! :r

Back